GBR babies!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
As you can see I have a good amount of algae in my tank. They are constantly grazing on the infusoria living on it. I also give them a little squirt of the smallest size of Golden Pearls every couple hours. They look like a school of sharks in a feeding frenzy when I feed them! I will be ramping up a daphnia culture to give them a good growth spurt once they're big enough to eat them.

Mom and Dad are very attentive. They herd them from one depression in the sand to another all day long and go into a panic when the little ones get too near the filter intake. Any that they can't steer fast enough are grabbed up in their mouths and spit into the pit they have in mind.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Watch the male, they tend to lose interest in fry care when they're ready to breed again. IME they may well eat fry to get the female back into breeding mode. But if you remove him, the female will be on the job...for a few weeks more.

Reactions: Finster

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
As you can see I have a good amount of algae in my tank. They are constantly grazing on the infusoria living on it. I also give them a little squirt of the smallest size of Golden Pearls every couple hours. They look like a school of sharks in a feeding frenzy when I feed them! I will be ramping up a daphnia culture to give them a good growth spurt once they're big enough to eat them.

Mom and Dad are very attentive. They herd them from one depression in the sand to another all day long and go into a panic when the little ones get too near the filter intake. Any that they can't steer fast enough are grabbed up in their mouths and spit into the pit they have in mind.
you can buy sponges ( I got a few at PetSmart) to cover the filter intake that way they don't get sucked into it. I only paid like $5 for2 of them

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
you can buy sponges ( I got a few at PetSmart) to cover the filter intake that way they don't get sucked into it. I only paid like $5 for2 of them
I'll probably get around to that, ESPECIALLY if I ever try to raise fry away from the parents. I don't know if I've been lucky or what, but I've now raised 2 batches of angel fry and 2 of salvini fry and now the GBR fry to this point and the parents, so far have actively been keeping the fry away from the filter intake. But yeh, it couldn't hurt.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
I'll probably get around to that, ESPECIALLY if I ever try to raise fry away from the parents. I don't know if I've been lucky or what, but I've now raised 2 batches of angel fry and 2 of salvini fry and now the GBR fry to this point and the parents, so far have actively been keeping the fry away from the filter intake. But yeh, it couldn't hurt.
yea lol it's not something you "work up to" if you like breeding cichlids. When I have a pair lay eggs I fit the intakes w/ sponges or at least a nylon stocking before the eggs even hatch. For the tanks dedicated to breeding I mostly use sponge filters but aside from that covering the intakes w/ sponges is a huge baby-saver. You probably had more than 30 and didn't even know it - they aren't strong enough to escape the intake siphon until they are a few months old

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store