GE Silicone 1 FYI

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ricksza

AC Members
Nov 8, 2018
Bensalem, PA USA
Real Name
Rick
A lot of people have been asking about silicone for the aquariums. Going by the many recommendations across the internet I used GE 100% Silicone 1. After someone pointed out to me the under the instructions it says "Not for underwater/aquarium use", for my own peace of mind, I contacted Momentive (manufacturer who makes it for GE). Their response was: "We would recommend removing the silicone. It is not designed for aquarium/below water line use because it may fail when submerged for continual use and harm your fish". What they mean by fail, I don't know, breakdown, crumble, lose adhesion? Since it's not in a critical area (used to glue a divider in a tank), I'm going to just keep an eye on it, but I will not be using it again in any of my aquariums. Take it or leave it, this is my opinion.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
They say that to cover their arses in case something goes wrong. Liability. 100% pure silicone is 100% pure silicone.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
That is not the case. Even the ones for bath say "100% silicone". If the additives are below a certain percentage they do not have to be listed. 100% silicone means it is not modified with latex caulk, or acrylic or anything else. It can still have mildicides in it and be 100% silicone

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Then buy one that says it does not have mildicides... they are labelled quite clearly.

Reactions: Ricksza
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store