"Gems" - Anyone know about these Freshwater fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
To provide some more general info on the Badids, another work of mine on this group of fish:

Badids

The Badidae is a small family of fish in the order Perciformes. The name Perciformes is derived from the Greek perke [perch] and the Latin forma [shape]. The order contains approximately 40% of all bony fish and is the largest order among all the vertebrates; it is also the most variably sized order, having members as small as 7 millimetres (just over ¼ inch) to as large as 5 metres (16.4 feet). They first appeared and diversified in the late Cretaceous period. There are 156 families in 18 sub-orders; most of the more than 7,000 species of perciformes are marine shore fish, including about 2,200 species that occur in freshwater for part of their lives. Approximately 2,000 species are strictly freshwater fish, including the cichlids, bass and perch, anabantids, nandids and badids.

The family Badidae was erected in 1968 by George Barlow, Karel Liem and Wolfgang Wickler for the sole species now known as Badis badis. This fish had originally been described by Hamilton in 1822 and placed in the marine genus Labrus [along with a closely-related fish now known as Dario dario]. In 1854 Bleeker erected the genus Badis within the freshwater family Nandidae (the leaffishes) for Badis badis on the basis of osteological characteristics that made the species distinct from other Nandidae species.

In 2002 a major revision of the Badidae was made by Kullander et.al. and 10 new species were described. A new genus, Dario, was erected, with Dario dario as the neotype and two newly described species, D. dayingensis and D. hysginon, were included. The genus Badis was divided into five clades and at the time of writing there are 14 Badis species listed in Fishbase.

Badids share some characteristics with Anabantids, Nandids and Channids. From the aquarist’s perspective, the male embrace of the female during spawning is shared by both anabantids and badids.

The nandids and badids differ only in morphology and egg structure, although the phylogenetic relationships among the species and species groups are not fully resolved (Ruber et.al. 2004). Badis apparently split off from the ancestral anabantoids before they acquired the air-breathing adaptation. The osteological differences between Badis and the anabantoids stem chiefly from the modifications accompanying aerial respiration.

The egg of badids is enclosed in an unusually tough sheath that is extremely adhesive. The egg itself lacks any special device for attaching. The larva has an adhesive organ at the tip of the yolk sac. The egg and the larva of badids are thus unique among teleosts insofar as is known (Barlow et.al. 1968).

Badids have no teeth but do possess an ectopterygoid, a membrane bone located ventrally on the skull, situated behind the palate and extending to the quadrate.

All species normally inhabit small streams or hill streams with low to moderate flow, coastal drainages, or ditches with stagnant water. They are lurking predators feeding on small invertebrates. The badidae are distributed throughout the lowlands of the Ganges, Brahmaputra and Mahanadi basins, in Nepal, India and Bangladesh; Pakistan, peninsular Thailand, and the Upper Irrawaddy in Myanmar and China (Dario species).

This family includes the smallest known percoid fish, Dario dario, at a standard length of less than 20mm.

References:

Barlow, George W., Karel F. Liem and Wolfgang Wickler (1968), "Badidae, a new fish family--behavioural, osteological, and developmental evidence," Journal of Zoology 156 (4), pp. 415-447.

Kullander, Sven O. & R. Britz (2002), "Revision of the Family Badidae (Teleostei: Perciformes), with description of a new genus and ten new species," Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters 13(4), pp. 295-372.

Ruber, Lucas, Ralf Britz, Sven O. Kullander & Rafael Zardoya (2004), “Evolutionary and biogeographic patterns of the Badidae (Teleostei: Perciformes) inferred from mitochondrial and nuclear DNA sequence data,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 32 (3), Sep 2004, pp. 1010-1022.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
If you're talking about "Scarlet Gem Badis" (Dario Dario) I suggest you don't keep them unless you have a species-only tank. They are beautiful fish but are VERY shy, to the point that you probably won't ever actually see them in a tank with enough cover. They seem to do best in small groups with, as mentioned, loads of cover in the form of plants, driftwood, and rocks. Sand substrate, not too much water movement (they are very small fish, the ones I had would get blown around by a small powerhead so I removed it), and medium lighting seems to work best from what I've experienced before my heater decided not to work during a blizzard. Not fish for a community tank for sure. They can be very rewarding if done right, but doing it right is rather difficult, I'd suggest getting a somewhat larger and more bold fish species if you aren't able to wait an hour or so for them to come out of hiding after you feed them.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
The woman at the LFS had young and mature "gems". The young were silvery with a very faint scarlet line running down the top length of the top fin. They also had two little black spots on each side of it's body. The mature fish was a faint orange/scarlet. It also had the black spots. The LFS woman said the adults colors can get very very bright. I believe there were some faint striping on the adults but not on the young. The young were about 1" already and the mature were about 3". This leads me to believe the fish aren't the Scarlet Gem Badis because they are too big. Neither the young or the mature fish seemed shy at all.

I think I will need to go back into the store and drill the LFS woman for more information.

I know that some cichlids have the dark spots but LFS woman said they were definitley not from the cichlid family. So, Badids are from the same family as the Dari Dari, but do they look the same?

In any case it would seem that this family of fish would not be a good idea to put in a tank with cherry red shrimp or any other type of shrimp.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
The orange stripe at the top of the fin seems the same, but I don't see the black spots. Not sure. Could be.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I wonder if you are seeing Jewel Cichlids?
Hmm. Now thinking about the description that was written, i agree jewel cichlids have a multitude of colors and patterns, including spots.

Nice catch

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I wonder if you are seeing Jewel Cichlids?
You are right, I believe it is a Jewel Cichlid. I went ahead and bought one. It is just a baby so I was hoping as it grows up with the existing tank mates it won't kill or eat any of them when it is bigger. As you can see in one pic it is barely bigger than my corys. Even so, I thought my plan had run afowl when I saw the skeleton of one of my flower shrimp and thought hat the baby jewel had somehow eaten it, but found out that shrimp shed. I found both the shrimps alive and well and my Jewel is not guilty.

Am I mistaken about the Jewel being able to get along with it's community fish and shrimp?HPIM2921.JPGHPIM2902.JPG

HPIM2921.JPG HPIM2902.JPG

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
He may make a meal of the shrimp that he can catch but I think he will do ok with the other fishes so long as he is the lone Jewel Cichlid.
He will get pretty big for a 29 gallon tank however. You may end up with a 5 inch fish in there.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
If I were you, I would return the Jewel Cichlid. This is a risk. Here's an excerpt from a profile of this species I authored a couple of years back that should explain things.

Hemichromis bimaculatus

Family: Cichlidae, Subfamily Pseudocrenilabrinae

Origin and Habitat: West Africa: widely distributed in coastal basins associated with tropical forest. Also reported from other areas in Africa. Found in small streams with heavy overhanging and/or surface vegetation, also mud- and sand-substrate canals.

Compatibility/Temperament: Aggressive. Best kept in a pair that have formed themselves from a small group. Can be maintained with medium and largerfish such as barbs, danio, some characins, and substrate fish large enough not to be eaten. When spawning becomes highly aggressive. A sub species, the Lifalilli Jewel Cichlid is less aggressive and will readily spawn in a blackwater condition which can be created by the addition of new sumatra bog wood into good quality well kept water.

Jewel Cichlid Diet

Omnivorous, preferring to dig in the substrate for food. Will accept any prepared food; feed a variety of flake, pellet and sinking including some algae or kelp-based foods. Frozen bloodworms, live brine shrimp, small earthworms as treats.

Size

Attains 6 inches in the Tank however can be up to 8 inches in the wild.

Minimum Tank Suggestion

48 inches.

Water parameters for Jewel Cichlid

Soft to medium hard (4 to 16 dGH), slightly acidic to slightly basic (pH 6.5 to7.5), temperature 21-27C/70-80F. The pH range is the preferred, but this species will manage with pH from 6 to 8.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store