German blue ram cichlid questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
Ok so I have a 125 gallon tank how many German Blue Rams can I add if I want a species only tank?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Well I know that in a 20 long they only recommend 2. I am not sure if that would be a good reference for a tank that big though... But worth noting.

Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
So I wonder if 20 would be too many. Since they would be the only fish I was hoping that 20 will work. Someone locally is selling them for $1 each

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Holy cow that is cheap. I know they need hiding places and a bit of space, so I would think you are right. Of coarse the right mix of females and males might help break up any problems. But I can't say for sure honestly... Beyond my experience.

Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would say only about 6-8, they are cichlids and will be territorial. You can add a large school of Cardinals and hatches to fill it out though.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
FYI, I've moved this thread to CA/SA cichlids since the blue rams are South American cichlids

BTW, I also would not recommend too many as they are territorial Cichlids.. tho if they are young you could start with 10 or so then thin them.

there are different thoughts with the Ramirezi cichlid. They are not considered "harem' breeders but they are often kept in mixed pairs (2 females per male)
you sill need to set the tank up with the appropriate structures and provide hiding spots to help with agression issues as they are considered conspecific aggressive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store