German Blue Rams dying … no clue why

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Filippo

Registered Member
May 19, 2024
I have a planted 55 gal tank .. lots of driftwood - PH hovering around 7.1 .. all other parameters seem fine,, lots of live plants .. all seem to be fine but the Rams. Stock list I started with;

German blue rams
20 neon tetras
2 dwarf paradise gouramis
2 Siamese algae eaters
2 small clown Plecos

down to 3 rams … the dead ones don’t look roughed up .. nothing else dead .. again water parameters seem fine… thoughts ?

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
76 is too cold for rams; most recommend 82 a few have success at 78/79 but 82 is a lot safer; i keep mine at 83.

Filippo

Registered Member
May 19, 2024
Ok got a digital thermometer.. it’s actuall 84.9 …. Maybe too hot for the rams ?

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I'd check if your thermometer is accurate - 84.9 is too hot for all your fishes. Boardering critically hot for the p. gourami. Well long term.

Also if both p. gourami are males there is a good chance one will kill the other when they get old enough.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would watch the paradise fish for aggression with the rams &, as jake said, with each other.

How long have you had all the different fish? Any new additions lately? What size are the fish? Still young & smallish or adults? How many rams did you get that you're down to 3? Can you sex them yet? Rams are pretty mellow for cichlids but that doesn't mean they might not fight.

You have some fish (neons & paradise) that like low 70s. The plecos & Siamese are ok at a range of temps, say mid 70s to high 70s. Rams are happier at 79-80ish. But a few degrees shouldn't kill them or any fish fast. It's like jake said, a long term thing.

Can you post a pic? We might see something that could give a clue.

What's the parameters differences between your tap water aged 24 hours & tank? It could be as "simple" as your water company doing some spring maintenance. I have seasonal water here & where I've lived before. In a vague general way where do you live? In US or where? State, nearby big city? What test kit or strips are you using?

Rams are now bred by "fish farmers" & are not as sturdy as they used to be. Are they long finned &/or balloon fish? Electric blue? These traits are fairly easy to breed for, but it's done by inbreeding that can affect fish health & longevity. (can you tell I'm not a fan?)

Lots of questions but they can help us help you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store