get itchy gums when you have a cold???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcornuta

AC Members
Jan 9, 2009
OMG, I feel like crying like a teething baby! Almost every time I get a cold my gums also itch like crazy. It's much worse at night so I can't sleep and often when I do doze off I wake up with my fingers in my mouth. *drool*

Tylenol Cold multi-symptom helps some but not enough.

Anyone else out there have this fantastically uncomfortable symptom when they get a cold and what do you do about it?

Reactions: anniekidwell

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I can't say that I've ever had that - sounds horrible. Have you tried Benadryl?

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
i agree about the allergy part. id maybe go to the dentist, if theres inflamation or somthing of the like, they would know

Lcornuta

AC Members
Jan 9, 2009
I've tried Loratadine (Claritin), Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and Clemastine Fumarate yesterday and the day before since I thought I was experiencing allergies. There was no change to the mass of symptoms. Then I discovered I had a fever... so not allergies I suppose. I took these during the day when my gums itch less. So tonight when they start up I will take a swig of Benadryl and see what happens.
I of course was allowing enough time between dosing so it wasn't like... pop-pop-pop! :)

Thanks for the idea.

I was also just curious if anyone else went through this and had any clue as to the cause. I found one mention of it after extensive internet searching and they had no idea what was up.

Since it only happens when I get a cold, it's not chronic so I doubt it's related to any gum disease. I'm sure the dentist would still love to poke, prod and slice though! eww

spunjin

Manzanita Supplier
Aug 7, 2008
Ridgecrest, CA
seanrubino.com
Real Name
Sean Rubino
Camera Used
iPhone X
If I am not mistaken I believe the itching comes from the infection in the sinus. I'm almost certain that it is not a dental issue. The only way to know for sure if it is a dental issue is if one has itchy gums while healthy.

Lcornuta

AC Members
Jan 9, 2009
Spunjin and Damodred, I think you two are right on! I did a search with sinus infection (instead of cold) and itchy gums and found my people. There seems to be a lot of correlation with post-nasal drip that gets worse at night when lying down.
Sadly, I have not read about a cure or relief but at least I have more info on my foe.

I'll still try the Benadryl tonight to see if it's a histamine reaction to the post nasal-drip.

You guys are awesome and have given me hope for some sleep :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store