get prepared for a stupid question.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arctic_Fishery

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
cleveland,Ohio
fishdomain.netfirms.com
now i've been reading that in some cases air pumps are for decoration......im letting you guys take that one......is it absolutely positively neccessary to have an air pump.....if so why?i am being serious so please dont laugh at me.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Air Pumps simply Pumps Air into the tank,actually it is to increase the amount of oxygen dissolving into the water from the air.

Fishiebusiness

Fish Newbie
Oct 8, 2001
Berkeley, CA
www.picturetrail.com
They're usually not needed if you have any type of filter thats disturbing the surface. I find them loud and the bubbles quite annoying, and so i never use one normally. They are good to have as backup in case a filter fails, and some people enjoy the bubbles.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
With something over 2 dozen tanks I have no airstones, have not had any for decades, and don't plan on ever having again.

If you have adequate circulation in your tank, even without surface breaks, you are not likely to ever suffer from dissloved oxygen lack.

To me they are pure "ornament", make noise, mess up the cover glass, and are something I can do very well without.:)

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
So u mean,water movement contributes to oxygen dissolving in the water.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Water movement at the surface contributes to oxygen dissolving in the water. Gas exchange occurs at the surface of the aquarium. Bubbles from an air pump do nothing but disturb the surface of the water to promote this gas exchange.
good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store