Getting concerd

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
If youve read my other posts you now ive been having a hard time with my 40 gallon tank. Ive lost almost all my goldfish that have been in it and now only have one left. There not dying all together but one about every week or so. Ive also been dealing with ich. When I woke up this morning my black moor that had the least problum with ich was doing ok, alittle subdued but nothing to really concern me. But when I came home after being out for a few hours he had passed away. Ive looked all over and I cant find a good answer for whats going on.
Other then ich could it be over exposure to sunlight?
Im going to the petstore soon, and im going to get a water tester for my tank.

Im really confused by this too. I also other than my 40 gallon tank have a 50 gallon. I will admit that it is abit overstocked since I got alittle fish happy since it was my first tank, but its doing really well. I did have a aquaclear 50 on it to begine with, then switched it to my 40 gallon so it was already preestablished. and got a aquarclear 70 because my water was cloudy?

Could my problum be my aquaclear 50? Should I through it out and get a new one?
Any help would be really apreciated, im woried about my last surving black moor, he still has cysts and a whitish slime coat and spends his time in the top part of the tank and stays in one place.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Are you suppose to have 0 nitrites and nitrates?
also I got the api liquid test kit and i tried the amonia one twice, and it never turned a color and just stayed clear.

Oh and before I left for the petstore I noticed one of his eyes is swollon, its not cloudy as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Ammonia should be zero and the color should be yellow. Nitrite should be zero and should be blue. You will see some nitrates but the color should not be red. Make sure you shake those bottles and let it sit for a few minutes. Place white paper behind them to see the color.

I would put an airstone in the tank and do as many WCs as you can until it gets better.

So what's your params now?

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
It sounds like your goldfish became really stressed for some reason. If you have ich that is one thing, but thick slime is a whole different ball game. I would do the following:
25% water change, 1tbs salt per 10gal, crank the heat to 80-82 and add an airstone to oxgenate the water more. I would also consider giving your moore a bath in a 5gal bucket containing 2tbs salt and one or two doses of bacterial meds for slime disorders. Keep the moore in the bath until it is gasping at the top or 1 hour. The bath should knock the crap off the fish and it will help give your new tank conditions a head start.

I'm sure you have already got lectured about tank size for goldies, but please don't add any more until this guy clears up for at least one week.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks for all the tips,
To fish fan man , when I did the ammonia I added 8 drops like it said and shook it hen let it sit for 5 mins and it was still clear.

Many he got stressed from his tank mates passing away,
Anyways I have just started using malafix to see if it will help., and he does seem more active still not great but better.

To henningc so far at most I've only had three goldies in the 40 but the all seem to get sick

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
Thanks for all the tips,
To fish fan man , when I did the ammonia I added 8 drops like it said and shook it hen let it sit for 5 mins and it was still clear.
Are you using both bottles from the test kit for ammonia? From this it only sounds like you are putting in one of the ammonia test chemicals.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I didnt realise that you need to use both bottles.
I did the test and it came back 0.
After doing the reaserch and testing i think the problum isnt my water and I maby just got unlucky and one of my fish thats been in the tank prevously brought in a bacteria. Though im not really sure how long my remianing black moor had ich. Its really hard to see anything on him unless its bright daylight out and even then you usualy need a flashlight.
Oh also can a telloscope eye goldfish get a eye injury but acidentily hitting it on a rock?

Thanks so much for all the help so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store