Getting porcupine puffer tomorrow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
well, if puffers are nocturnal then i think it would probably come out if you turned off the lights for a little wile. It sounds like its just scared of all the people and lights and sounds around its new home. Try being quiet for a little bit and see if it comes out, and it would help if you turned off the lights too. That sort of thing seems to go with most fish. My firefish hides whenever someone walks pat the tank, but comes out when you sit there for a little bit and just watch the tank.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I really think you'd enjoy observing your tank with the moonlights.

AC2020x

AC Members
Dec 31, 2008
State College, PA
Well, I have some bad news. The butterfly randomly died for unknown reasons yesterday. He was eating fine the day before (ate a few small pieces of shrimp and frozen formula 2 which he seemed to love). I came home the next day at about 5pm and everything seemed fine with the tank. I got back around 10pm to feed the fish and he was not swimming at all and didn't eat whatsoever. About an hour later he was being pushed around by the current flipping upside down and whatnot. I could tell pretty much that it was too late already to save him. - I put him in my hospital tank with some stress medicine but he was dead by the morning.

I'm really not sure what happened and all of my other fish seem fine and happy. I checked and all my parameters check out fine as well.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
wow, that sucks...

AC2020x

AC Members
Dec 31, 2008
State College, PA
Well, I don't know what to do. Over the last two days the puffer isn't doing so good. He looks fine but his eyes seem to look a little weird/ cloudy. They aren't popping out at all though. He didn't eat last night which is a first but just paced back and fourth quickly which was different from his normal behavior. Today he's just lying under rocks and it small spaces. When he swam around he's bumping into a lot of things and pays no attention to anything around him. Should I QT him? If I do what should I do to help him? The only real medication I have is methaline blue. Would that help???

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Last edited:

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Hello again Pufferpunk, myself, I would always suggest the maximum period in a QT, and the idea of a week or two in my opinion would only add to the fish stress, not what it is suppose to do to prevent any parasites from entering your main display tank. I feel this is to be the same for corals. It not helps much for the long run of ones tank when they hurry in the stocking of their live stock and any number of hobbyists often end up with problems. A "GREAT" deal of patience is required here, do take your time in the buying of your live stock, you rush it, it could cause you to loose any number of fish. I when I do start up the 240 SPS tank will start up, my fish and corals will be in the QT from 6 to 8 weeks, never two weeks. So yes, a great deal of patience is needed here if your to do it as I do. And my QT will be a 40 gal breeder tank.

Buddy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store