Getting ready for new betta.... Is it worth the risk...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
My betta, Bluetooth, passed away from dropsy today... I did a little burial for him.
In a month's time I will get 5th betta, but I don't know if that's worth the risk. So here are the questions I wanted to ask experts:

- Is it worth the risk?
- How do I prevent dropsy, swim bladder and other deadly bacterial diseases?
- How do I prevent organ failure in fish and other underlying causes of dropsy, swim bladder and others?
- Can the betta live in water hardness of 253 ppm or is it gonna harm him?
- I have bug bites, is it alright or should I get other high quality pellet food?

Info about the tank:

- 28 L bowfront tank, around 25 L with decor and stuff
- Run with a sponge filter, has a wroking 50 w heater.

Water info:

- 253 ppm overall hardness
- 0 NH3/NH4 & NO2 as well
- NO3 kept low

Disconnected the filter today due to lack of fish in the tank.
I really need my questions to be answered in full, I don't want another betta go dead on me or else I will be known as betta killer :(

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
As long as its the domestic betta, yes up to 300ppm is fine. But any wild splendens or hybrid definitely not good.

Unfortunately the store bought bettas don't do so well, as you have experienced. You could look into getting an import or finding a local breeder instead of the mass bred cup bettas from stores which are more likely to have issues.

I think that would be your best chance of avoiding genetic problems

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with NoodleCats! & some shops change water in the cups, some don't. My preference is for younger smaller fish, they may not have reached their potential beauty yet. I don't often go to my local fish club meets (too late for me, back when we could go) but a few years ago there was a betta breeder & his younger fish went for a dollar or 2 at most during the auction. I was tempted, he had such pretty fish! Adults were $2 or $3 as I recall...but if you insist on the "latest" forms of bettas you'll pay both in price & shorter longevity. Just some things to think about...

Highly bred bettas don't live a very long time, especially after they show their adult fins & colors. We're talking a year or 2...maybe a bit more if you're lucky. You're not likely to come across "aliens" or some other special variety at those prices but you may find younger healthier fish...

Reactions: NoodleCats

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Exactly what they say... you didn't kill those bettas as long as you keep NH3 and NO2 at 0. Remember in the minds of the fish farms and wholesalers in the far east the fish only have to live like a half year after they sold them.

Reactions: NoodleCats

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK

I found these females, one offer was 9.99, is located in the uk. But, the only concern is that she will be having eggs in her belly and will be scaring the poo poo out out of me... And if she's bred by someone, would she be fine in 253ppm water hardness?

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
There's probably a betta club or several of them. Here's 1 UKbettabreeders
Thank you ^-^ I will try to contact them about their bettas ask for cheapest male.

How do I prevent dropsy, swim bladder and other serious bacterial infections that are deadly? How do I prevent organ failure?

I'm really keen on making and printing out a betta plan, like a time table kind of thing with all 7 days, when to feed daphnia, bug bites, blood worms and other things, will get mysis shrimp and something else for him too. The plan will also include when and for how much to entertain him and when to perform a water change as well. I'm not 100% sure on the plan, but oh well... Just gonna see how it goes.

Please answer... I really need to know how to prevent them..

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Like I said you can only keep up on water changes and have ammonia and nitrite at 0. Those fancy fins and colors come at the price of weaker fish whether it is bettas or goldfish. You might want to look in to wild bettas or maybe a paradise fish if you want to keep a fish for the long term.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There's even a UK National betta show, you might look for breeders there (or on their site, they're not likely meeting soon).

If you're near a big city there may be breeders close to you. Don't look for the cheapest fish, breeders will likely have pics of 1 or both parents. That's no guarantee of pretty, but you may not be happy with culls either.

I just googled UK betta bettas, I'm sure you could refine that. If you have a "style" preference you can search or ask what kinds they breed. There are many more types now than I know. Take your time...shop around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store