Getting ready for new betta.... Is it worth the risk...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Like I said you can only keep up on water changes and have ammonia and nitrite at 0. Those fancy fins and colors come at the price of weaker fish whether it is bettas or goldfish. You might want to look in to wild bettas or maybe a paradise fish if you want to keep a fish for the long term.
fancy fins, fancy colours = weaker fish?
I have hard water of 253ppm and therefore i cannot have wild bettas...

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Wild (short finned) bettas are tank bred too. Also you can easily soften the water up by using for example 1/2 rain or distilled or RO water.

Reactions: Sprinkle

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
PS: 253 ppm is 14 DH. I can find no reference in literature that you can not keep wild bettas in hard water. Most give a range between 5 to 20 DH. Even on Seriouslyfish you are within the range.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Much of the UK has hard water from what I've read. Ask the breeders what their water parameters are. You should be ok, it's much easier to use you tap if you can...& no excuses for skipping WCs, lol.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I decided upon a halfmoon plakat or a plakat male, they will not be as fancy as the show bettas, they are bred by someone else in the UK from regular store parents so they should have stronger immune system. Do they? . I have contacted them, some other group, and they have responded. £15-18 male, £10-15 female.
Should choose, reserve and pick my boy up pretty soon.
I'm glad I'm in a range of water hardness for bettas, was worried I'd need to soften my water.

I was thinking on making myself a schedule with all 7 days when and what time to feed him (and what to feed him), when to entertain him (and with what), when to do a water change and what hour.
What do you think about my schedule? I'm pretty hyped! ?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Whee, those are some steep prices! I have never bought "high end" bettas, there weren't such things back when we kept them.

It might be good to have a "fasting day" built into your feeding schedule. Too much protein can help cause constipation as I recall...a little veg helps keep them "regular". IMO there's no such thing as too much variety in fish foods...but bettas are more protein oriented. Small meals more often are better than overfeeding at 1 time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store