Getting ready to set up 55g brackish, need stock ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Just made a big order with http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/pr/c/3578 to get the last of everything I'm gonna need to set this bad boy up except for the glass hoods and a Coralife dual t5no fixture that I'm getting from my not so local lfs.

It will be planted with hornwort, parrot feather, Anubias, java fern, Bacopa, Anarcharis, and banana plant.

For filtration it'll have an AC50, AC70, and a Hydor Koralia Nano 425gph circulation pump.

Specific gravity will be maintained at 1.008 except for in Dec and June when I'll drop it down to the 1.005-1.003 range.

The "centerpieces" of the tank will be 3 figure 8 puffers. These are my wife's favorite fish and are a must! The rest is up to debate.

I want 6-7 bumblebee gobies, I'll have small clay pots semi buried in the substrate for them to use as homes. I also wanted a "freshwater" flatfish but I think the substrate will be too bust with all the plants and clay pots so I had to throw that idea out. I like Scats and Archer fish but I'm thinking they're going to get too large. I've heard they get up to 12" and don't Scats need full marine conditions once they mature? I kinda like Mono sebaes do you think they'd be too aggressive for the little puffers?

I'd like to hear your ideas. I'd like some more unusual fish.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Just found a smaller archerfish: Smallscale Archerfish (Toxotes microlepis) supposed to get 5 to 6 inches.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'd skip the Mono's, though they dont grow that large they like alot of swimming room I think its usually reccomended to keep them in atleast a 6ft tank. F8's don't get to big but I'd be worried about them still going after the little gobies. I'm not familiar with to many brackish fish so I can't think of anything to recommend

Equipment and planting sounds good. Some marine plants might work for you too, turtle grass will grow in brackish, also some caulerpa and halimedia

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
I know that mono sebaes need a little school.. and puffers can be aggressive no matter what their size, so they should fare pretty well with the monos. That's all I know though xD

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Noticed you're in Ca. I take back the halimedia caulerpa suggestions I believe both are banned there.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Thanks for the advice guys. I've decided against monos, not enough room.

F8 puffers actually aren't nearly as aggressive as most other puffers. As long as their bellies are full and there's enough plants to swim around they're pretty content.

Anyone else have any stocking ideas to bounce around?

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Anyone have experience with Butis butis? Will it be too aggressive with the F8's or bumblebee/knight/neon gobies?

Sent from my SGS4 Active

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
What about some livebearers? Mollies? American Flag Fish and Nerites would be a cool algae crew. I don't think the puffers will go after nerites given their size, but check on that idea as I have never done it. Everybody has great ideas til someone gets eaten lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store