getting rid of snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Hi all-

I ordered from java ferns online, and several months later discovered snails in my tank. Small, brown, bulbous shaped shells, not sure what they are specifically. I have guppies, tetras, and red cherry shrimp. They've spread over time so there's probably over a hundred or more in the tank. I thought about assassin snails to try to control/get rid of the population, but I've seen online that they'll also attack the RCS if they get a chance. I've tried the traps, but I've caught more shrimp than snails. I don't want to use chemicals. Anyone have any other suggestions? When I clean the tank gravel substrate, I see baby snails appear, but the suction isn't strong enough to pull them out. I thought that might be a solution, maybe get a stronger sucking device? At least it would decrease the population more than me just smushing the ones I see on the tank walls.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not think assassin snails can catch a shrimp (I do not have experience with shrimps though). Some smaller loaches will eat snails too (Botia).

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You should be able to bait them, use a saucer or something flat and aquarium safe... put food in the middle, say an algae wafer or lettuce or something.

leave in the tank oin the bottom for a few hours or overnight, then remove the saucer of pest snails (put anything you want back into the aquarium) and give the snails to someone with a puffer or loaches, or something who wants them.

repeat as necessary

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Loaches would snack on shrimp as well. Most of the animals that will eat snails will eat shrimps. Baiting, cleaning to remove excess food, and mainally removing will be best to control levels. I'm seldom bothered by snails, since they are useful--and if numbers start spiking, it indicates the need to reduce feeding or clean more.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Yes, yes yes. Assassin snails will eat shrimp IF they catch them, like at night when the shrimp are sleeping and the snails are hunting. Loaches will do the same. Baiting, cleaning, squishing are the best removal methods. Some snails are ok though.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just to add to the above, a growing population of snails is typically an indication of too much food being added to the tank.

Terri Manning

AC Members
Feb 1, 2018
I made some traps that are helping me to get rid of the pest snails in my tank. I tried several store bought ones but did not have any luck with them. I simply took a smal jar (baby food, pimentos) and put holes in the lids. I then cut bendy straws and pulled them through the holes (the bendy part makes them stay in better). Cut the straws as flush with the lids as possible on the top of the lids and leave some length inside the jar. Place bait in the jars, fill with water from your tank, put the lids on, then place in the tank upside down. I still have to remove some fry and small shrimp but a lot less often than before!

2C1154A3-6109-47D9-9902-30399581FCDA.jpeg

Reactions: dougall

Poet_Eviscerate

AC Members
Feb 3, 2018
Lincoln, NE
www.metathriving.com
Real Name
Susanne
I made some traps that are helping me to get rid of the pest snails in my tank. I tried several store bought ones but did not have any luck with them. I simply took a smal jar (baby food, pimentos) and put holes in the lids. I then cut bendy straws and pulled them through the holes (the bendy part makes them stay in better). Cut the straws as flush with the lids as possible on the top of the lids and leave some length inside the jar. Place bait in the jars, fill with water from your tank, put the lids on, then place in the tank upside down. I still have to remove some fry and small shrimp but a lot less often than before!

View attachment 222835

That is dazzling and clever and I am pocketing that idea away in my idea pocket in my head which is awfully full of holes, but we'll see if this one sticks. Because I like it lots and it looks useful.

Reactions: Terri Manning

Robert Echols

Registered Member
Sep 27, 2018
You can hand pick them when you spot them and destroy them by stepping on them or drowning them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store