Getting soooooo frustrated with Briggs!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
This is really ticking me off and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the blankety blank blank is going on! :mad2::swear:

Everytime I do a water change, I kill my briggs. It just never fails! They flourish and cruze around one day, make the water change and it's pretty much instant death!

I tested the new water going in. ph around 6.6 (tank is about 7.4), NO3 ~ 5, NH3 0, temp is room temp (doesn't really matter). Copper is 0. Water is added via slow drip method.

Is there anything else I should be looking for here? I'm lost here...just 1000% lost.

I love the Briggs but these instant kill off's are just painfull for me. I can breed Otos. I can breed shrimp. The Bladder, MTS, Pond and Ramshorns are fine. It's only the Briggs!

Someone, anyone ... :help:

:swear::mad2::wall:

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
The ph is somewhat worrying. Try letting the water sit for a few hours before putting it in. That's a big ph difference for fish to have to handle.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Yeah, that pH difference is in the Things That Make You Say Hmmmmm.... category. If the incoming/tap water is 6.6, what is in the tank that makes it go to 7.4? Whatever it is it sounds like you need to do that to the new water before adding it. Or figure out why the tank water pH is so high.

It might be worth getting a bottle of one of those "pH Up" products and try treating the new water with it before adding. Or figure some way to lower it in the tank water. At any rate sudden or constant change always pronounced to be more harmful than keeping a creature in a consistent level that is outside its official range. (what that is for Briggs I have no idea. Not a snail person. :) )

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Let that tap sample set out over night in a shallow dish and then test it. If you are doing regular frequent water changes and nothing special in your substrate or that you are adding, I suspect that after gas off, your tap is closer to your tank. The pH diff isn't that big of an issue and rarely effects in such a quick manner. What is your GH by the way, of tap and tank? Why do you think temp doesn't matter?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Could you perhaps just take some water from your cleanest established aquarium and use it to change the water in the Briggs tank? That's what I would do, it's how I did water changes in my fry tanks when I was raising various cichlids and livebearers years back.

Chemi-Pure and Easy Balance are two products that can really delay water changes - not the kind of thing I recommend usually, but in your situation...?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Are you using any fertilizers?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
No ferts as yet in this tank. I'm using Aquasoil substrate. The water I use is aged. As for the temp not mattering much...I'm slowly dripping the new water in. Temp isn't going to be much (if anything) of a factor.

I've decided to add carbon in the filter for now. Parms from new water and existing tank water are so close. I'm guessing that there has to be something else in the water. Other than that...no clue what so ever.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
It happens. Some of us are not meant to have briggs. :( I have numerous non-viable clutches and now have lost 2 briggs in a week. maybe a 3rd one about to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store