ghost shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mtweldon

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
Last night I finally found a store with ghost shrimp.. 10 cents a piece, couldnt pass them up so I bought 4.. well 3 actually but I guess the 4th one deciced to jump into the net, so I got him for free. How long do these little buggers last? they are very interesting to watch. Was funny my betta fish got curious and was pokin his nose at him, then a shrimp kinda jumped up and smacked his nose, then the betta left him alone.

Fish_3456

AC Members
Jun 29, 2005
My ghost shrimps were really fun to watch until my molly came along and killed them all :sad: , I would say it was a tasty treat for him. Have fun with your new ghost shrimp, I don’t know how long they last. :huh:

Kosmik

AC Members
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
community.webshots.com
I normally get the a dozen at a time and for me they don't last more than a week. My Angels love to eat them. They will stalk them all over the tank.

maaltan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
I tried, unsuccessfully, to breed them. Mine did last about 3 months though. They were in a tank by themselves though.

mtweldon

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
hmm great idea. Once my angels get bigger, maybe I will get a 10 gallon tank and try to breed them. I think they were 10 for a 1 $ so, cant really beat that.

Nexus

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
Heh, funny story...

We bought about 18 or so ghost shrimpy's fully expecting most to be gobbled up up by our barbs bala shark and gouramis. We see fewer and fewer each day and after a week couldnt find a single one.

Of course 4 - 6 months later, Im doing a water change, rearranging plants, pulling out uprooted ones to replant and something flies off the anacharis I whipped outta the tank. Sure enough theres a 2 inch ghost shrimp hopping its merry way across my kitchen floor!

I quickly scooped him up and tossed him back in the tank where he hid behind power pump for several days munching algae before disappearing again.

I actually found a SECOND one during that water change too! But he was MUCH smaller than the one who took flight lessons then a break for freedom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store