Ghost shrimps and suicide

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Ok a bit of an odd thing going on in my 40g tank, I started populating it with ghost and cherry shrimp a few weeks back. About 2-3 times a week I find dead ghost shrimp stuck to my glass versa top. I don't know why its only ghosts and not sure how its happening, I'm thinking perhaps when they get startled and shoot up into the water some are getting enough air to hit the top and if they hit pane where condensation is present they get stuck. That or one of my fish is throwing them around like a killer whale does to a seal :lol:

Maybe this isn't that uncommon with glass tops? Prior the other tanks I've kept them in have the typical plastic hood/fixture combo thats raised up and not as much condensation build up.

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
It could be that the shrimp do not like the water conditions, and are looking for a way out. It is rare for shrimp to do so, but common for crayfish. IMO, if the shrimp are healthy, they should be able to get unstuck. I've never had shrimp get stuck to the glass tops of my tanks.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I considered it was something with the water(ammonia, ph, trites, trates all test in the green) but wouldn't whatevers affecting the ghost's do the same to cherry's and probably my snails? None of them are trying to make a break for it and seem perfectly healthy.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Iv actually seen this happen at the pet store lol stuck to the front/top of the tanks... couldnt tell you why they did it likely because they jumped trying to avoid a net or being eaten/chased.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
I have saltwater ghost shrimp do it all the time. I just figure though they weighed the options, stick to the glass or drop back in with the fish, and choose the glass. :evil_lol:

You'd think they'd be able to get unstuck, but as far as I've seen they can't. They don't seem to know how to handle when they actually stick to something. They can handle dropping onto something (floor, rocks, sand, etc.) but not getting stuck to it.

demonte1997

AC Members
May 19, 2011
Ghost shrimp are pretty delicate creatures. I've had them do the same thing to me where they try to jump out of the tank, just to get stuck upside down under the lid. They can't wriggle off and then just die. Sad way to go.

Out of all the shrimp I've kept, ghost shrimp seem to be the most worthless. They don't last long in my tanks compared to cherry, bamboo, amano and vampire shrimp.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Iv actually seen this happen at the pet store lol stuck to the front/top of the tanks... couldnt tell you why they did it likely because they jumped trying to avoid a net or being eaten/chased.
Thats what I was thinking, maybe startled when they get bumped by a cory or kuhli in the night and take off.

Good to know its not something I'm doing. I'm probably done with ghost shrimp though my main reason for buying them was to put in my one community tank that one of my Betta's lived in he'd hunt down and kill any bright colored shrimps, he died so I can keep cherry shrimp in there now.

Last edited:

Rev_Jim_Jones

AC Members
May 15, 2011
South Jersey
Real Name
Mat
ghost Shrimp tend to eat each other around Molt Time, The biggest Shrimp usually chases the smaller ones around until they jump out, find a good hiding place, or get ripped into small pieces. try iodine and hardening the water a bit more for stronger quicker molts.

luvmysnails

AC Members
Oct 31, 2011
My husband has a blue cray in our 55 gallon tank he has eaten one slow bristle nose on me and attacked a longfin (moved to a new tank and is actually happier than he ever was in the other tank even before the blue). He tears up the plants, I can't tell if he is eating good or not. We have had him about three weeks and he has molted twice now. Once a few days after we got him then once a week ago. How can i make sure he is getting his food and not the fish?
My husband loves him so i would like to make peace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store