Glofish swims up into my HOB filter!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
My bad - thanx for the heads up.

The fish is swimming up the waterfall outlet.

I'm curious what type of HOB this is too. I know there's not much room in my AC 30's.

Fishman, you say your parameters are zero across the board. No nitrates can indicate a tank that's not cycled.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Hmm. Neat looking HOB. Didn't know they existed with UV 'cleaning'.
Yep, though it's largely a gimmick. The water flow is much too high to do anything beyond *possibly* nuking free floating algae.

OP, you can probably rig a sponge block baffle in front of the return. That'll disperse the water flow but not stop it, and will provide a relatively solid barrier your glofish can't traverse.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Yeah, that UV is questionable but you can control the flow to a trickle if one wants. But better than nothing I thought since I didn't want a powerhead setup. Plus it has a surface skimmer and a mechanical filter pad, I'm a filter freak. More the better in my book.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Now that the filter issue is fixed, aim a power head through some PVC pipe and give that guy a real challenge!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Yep, though it's largely a gimmick. The water flow is much too high to do anything beyond *possibly* nuking free floating algae.
Yeah, that UV is questionable but you can control the flow to a trickle if one wants.
Then you can slow it down so it will take care of bacterial infections if needed as well. Nothing gimmicky about that.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
You can, but the flow rate needed to take care of bacterial infections is typically lower than their filters actually get to. Then again, I was primarily looking at their canisters, since I have the CF400UV, and not their HOBs.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I had never seen a HOB with a UV in it either. But it seems as if this one could handle bacteria. I see how it looks like a gimmick, but I think this one may actually work. All in all, I think a UV is an unnecessary investment. I have used them. And find if you keep up with water changes, and quarantine any new fish before putting them in a community tank, I don't see the need for them. I sold mine awhile ago and don't regret it at all.

Looks like I completely derailed this thread :duh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store