Going on vacation what to do???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
my neon blue gobby was gone for about a month and i didn't see that he was in my refugium. he was very skinny when i finally found him, but alive. i wouldn't worry about it as much as i would worry about other things. however, even if everything goes fine, there is a possibility to loose a fish. as long as in overall your equipment wouldn't fail while you aren't there, because nothing good comes of that.

rdfriend

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
Seminole, Fl.
my neon blue gobby was gone for about a month and i didn't see that he was in my refugium. he was very skinny when i finally found him, but alive.
Mine has twice went over the falls of my overflows. Actually once on each one. The first time I noticed it was no more than a day but the second was a during an extremely busy time and he was there at least a week before I noticed it.

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
If you are going to be gone for a week, I think you must find someone who can at the very least top off your tank. My tank goes through about 3 gallons + a week (on a 46 bow) in evaporation, which without top offs would create major problems.

Aren't there any teenagers with gas tanks to fill that would take the job seriously? I pay my neighbor kid big money for easy work.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
If you don't want to the caretaker to mess up then I would make the tasks as easy as possible for them.

I believe someone already suggested premeasuring food? You can layout the amount of food for each day in little containers. As for top offs. You can make sure you have prepared water right by the tank. And put a little piece of tape (or some other type of mark) on the tank where the water level line should be. That way they know how far to fill up.

You could also have a practice session. And minimize the posibility of mess ups by telling them to only fed every 2-3 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store