Goldfish Article

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

T/N

AC Members
Nov 4, 2007
Feeding section looks good but I wouldn't plug Hikari only. Good options are Hikari, Omega One, New Life Spectrum, Pro-Gold.

Here's how I would revise those classes. My personal comments are in italics.

Single Tail Pond
Comet - includes Sarasa Comet & Standard Comet
Common (Hibuna/Funa)
Shubunkin - includes London Shubunkin, Bristol Shubunkin and Japanese/American Shubunkin
Tamasaba - a single-tailed ryukin-like variety, good pond fish, vigorous & aggressive feeders.

Double-Tail Pond
Watonai
Wakin

Vigorous Fancies
Oranda
Ryukin
Fantail - An older variety that isn't seen much anymore. Good swimmers, aggressive.
Pompom - These can be of any variety but are usually orandas. Good swimmers.

Delicate Fancies
Bubble Eye
Celestial
Black Moor
Ranchu
Lionhead
Eggfish
Demekin
Veiltail - Fantail with a long, drooping tail. Medium swimmer, needs less water flow.

Special Needs
Tosakin - Such special needs it really requires its own class.

--------------
These other varieties aren't real.

* Meteor goldfish - these are artificially produced goldfish in which the tail fin is amputated. not a true type. i'd leave them off the list.
* Curled-gill goldfish or reversed-gill goldfish - these are generally seen as a defect and usually culled. they can show up in any variety. leave them off the list.
New varieties
* Azuma nishiki - a nacreous-colored oranda - fancy name for a calico oranda.
* Muse - a cross between a tosakin and an azuma nishiki with black eyes and white translucent scales - it's a color morph and not a true type.
* Aurora - a cross between a shubunkin and an azuma nishiki or between a calico jikin and a tosakin - calico mutt. not a true type.
* Willow - a long and willowy telescope-eyed comet or shubunkin - i can't find any information about these and i've never heard of them. not a true type.
* Dragon eye ranchu or squid ranchu - a telescope eyed ranchu variety - these are simply a bubble eye variant. not a true type.
* Singachu or sakura singachu - a ranchu variant - a color morph.
Revived varieties
* Osaka ranchu - a ranchu relative
* Izumo nankin - a ranchu-like variety
These are variants on the ranchu. I wouldn't include them.
Lexi_D your article should include or not include these varieties depending on how deep you want your article to be for the audience it is written. I think these opinions on what Flaringshutter considers for himself as a "real" variety or not is debatable and not well considered.

Bubble Eye - 2 bubbles but what do you call the Variety with four bubbles

If "dragon eye ranchu" is variant of telescope eye, why doesn't flaring shutter consider celestial eye a variant of telescope eyes?

Demekin is what Japanese call telescope; Black Moor is a black telescope.

Ranchu, Lionhead, Lionchu, Tigerhead...

you should include pearlscales at the very least.

do your research. start here and here

This link lists varieties well; download the PDF

To just gloss over and dismiss so many different REAL varieties and reduce to the most banal, generic categories really misses the point of what makes goldfish so interesting, that each individual is unique,-however...I am not the one writing the article so carry on.

BTW the reason I have read for not feeding flake is because of relative low nutritional value. and you should mention in your article to feed fresh leafy greens and or green peas regularly.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Lexi_D your article should include or not include these varieties depending on how deep you want your article to be for the audience it is written. I think these opinions on what Flaringshutter considers for himself as a "real" variety or not is debatable and not well considered.
my apologies - i tried to take into consideration each proposed variety individually, research each and determine whether or not it is a true type or simply a variant of a type already mentioned.
we're not trying to list each individual variant of each type here. if Lexi wants to get into individual varieties, they should be included under the main name - as I added for Shubunkin. London and Bristol are not totally different types, but different varieties of fish.

Bubble Eye - 2 bubbles but what do you call the Variety with four bubbles
The company that developed these mentions on the main page that the extra bubbles are a feature that can be on any type of goldfish - oranda, telescope eye, etc. I would consider this a variant, much like pompoms, since pompoms can be on many types of goldfish.

If "dragon eye ranchu" is variant of telescope eye, why doesn't flaring shutter consider celestial eye a variant of telescope eyes?
I consider celestial different from telescope eye because it has completely different physical attributes and special needs as well. Celestials are dorsal-less and more related to the ranchu than the telescope. They are poor swimmers and need dim lighting as a result of their upturned eyes.

Demekin is what Japanese call telescope; Black Moor is a black telescope.
I would separate Black Moors from all telescopes/demekin since they are so selectively bred for the black color. They breed true and are well-established as a separate variety.

Ranchu, Lionhead, Lionchu, Tigerhead...
you should include pearlscales at the very least.
I did mean to include pearlscales. They should be classed with delicate fancies, don't you think? Crown pearlscales are probably best listed as a variant of pearlscales.
What does everyone think about frog eyes? I'm not sure they should be considered a separate type, but I'm not sure what they should be a variant of. Perhaps bubble eyes?

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
and you should mention in your article to feed fresh leafy greens and or green peas regularly.
Great idea! :)

Wakin (and watonai) should have a minimum tank size of 60 gals
Is there max size about 18" as well?

I still need to fill in the blanks for Tosakin & Tamasaba. I've got a screenshot of the chart which will be posted at the end here. :) One last thing I'd like to include on the types section- special needs, such as little/no water flow, dim lights, etc. Thank you so much to everyone who's posted for your help!

Thanks for working so hard on this! :D
:D
I was on the computer one day (bored) and was browsing google images when I stumbled upon photos such as this: http://www.bodiless.org/pets/Goldfish-Tank.jpg
And it just hit me- "That's it... I've got to put some real information out there!" So I started writing this article.. and it was only with your help and everyone elses that it's come this far! :)

And... here's the chart picture:

chart.PNG

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I would throw a plus sign next to all of your fancy sizes. Aside from bubble eyes, celestials, and tosakins, I have seen all of those fancies in sizes bigger than the ones listed. Also, I'm not really comfortable with the listed minimum tank sizes either. I can't imagine how much work it would take to properly maintain a 6 or even 7 " goldfish in a 25 gallon tank. 30 gallons isn't that much better, but I believe it should be the minimum size for one goldfish regardless of variety. That's jmo though...

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
Thanks! I heard Ryukins were good pond fish- is this true? also.. do any of the varieties have special needs that a 1st time buyer should know about?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good so far! Once it is complete please submit to msjinkzd for article review.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store