Goldfish Article

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

standardbyker63

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Bettendorf, IA
Wow! This is a very well written article. There are so many helpful leads in this article. I wish I would have been able to read this when I first started with my goldies.

I've had my tank for a little over a year and have done a lot of trouble shooting. From personal experience, I agree with a lot of what has been said.

I switched to sand substrate about 6 months ago and it has made a world of difference. Like mentioned in the original article, the sand tends to keep the waste from settling down into the substrate. I monitor the tank quite a bit and I can never really notice the waste. It gets moved up into the water column and then pulled through the filter, making a world of difference in the overall appearnce and cleanliness of the tank. Also, I had a problem with algae growing and attaching to the original gravel substrate, making it very hard to keep a clean looking tank. After 6 months, there's no algae on the sand. The sand is actually quite easy to clean. I turn my net upside down and stir up the bottom a bit to release the waste into the water column just before using my gravel vac to clean the waste out of the tank for water changes. You can even run the gravel vac over the surface of the sand and suck up a very minimal amount of sand while still sucking up the waste.

I haven't noticed any adverse reactions from the goldies since I've put sand into the tank. As mentioned in the original article, the goldies tend to sift through it quite a bit. It doesn't look like they try to swallow any of it. They simply take a small bit in their mouth in search of food then just blow it out. A week after doing a water change, there's a bunch of little divets in the sandy bottom from the goldies sifting through the sand. I even have one goldie that likes to nap right down on top of the sand. He's found his own little place with very little current where he can put his belly down on the sand and nap.

I never had any problems with sharp decorations but read plenty of articles where they have caused problems. I got rid of my "fantasy" 'scape and replaced it with sand and smooth sandstone (I think). The sandstone looks great with the nearly white sand black back ground. There's no sharp corners and I haven't noticed any detrimental effects.

Food. My goodness, food can be a complicated thing for new hobbyist to figure out. My aquarium setup came with flakes, so I naturally started using them and continued to do so. After a few weeks I noticed my black moor was having buoyancy problems. After doing some research I decided to go with slow sinking pellets. LIFE SAVER! They're small so you can use them with your small goldies, and they will float for a brief amount of time so your goldies can track them down and then get a hold of them before they sink too far away. I tried pre-soaking the flakes and that just made a mess since it can be difficult to judge how many flakes to add. With the pellets, I can monitor who gets how much and I can also make sure there isn't a lot of wasted food that breaks up and sinks to the bottom, leading to decreased water quality. Once a single goldie gets a mouth full of 2-3 pellets, he (or she) isn't as interested in the other food going into the tank, allowing the others to get their share.

If you did manage to buy a general setup like mine, you probably were given the tank, stand, hood, light, and some sort of filtration device. Mine came with a bio-wheel power filter. When I changed over to a sand substrate, I also decided to double up on filtration. My power filter came with an extra media slot, so I bought extra cartridges and put two in at a time. I'm guilty of going nearly a month and a half at one (and I repeat ONE) time without doing a water change and my power filter never once overflowed. If you clean your filters every two weeks (for me, every other water change) you shouldn't ever have problems with the water flowing past the filters and back into the tank. Ideally, a cannister filter would be best, but we don't always start out with that option.

Re-read the original article again. It's a wealth of information that has proven to be quite true for myself over the last 14 months. Thanks again :)

standardbyker63

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Bettendorf, IA
One thing I forgot to mention that may be useful to others. The sand substrate is easily aggitated up into the water colum for cleaning any waste that may present. If you have a power filter, I would recommend turning it off before doing your water changes. I sucked sand up into the power filter the first time I did a water change and it got into the impeller in my filter. The sand is very very fine and it caused my filter to make an aweful sound. I turned it off right away and cleaned it out, but it still makes some horrible noise from time to time. I recently purchased a new impeller and am waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully this will solve my problem. I'll be sure to mention something once I get it installed and let it run for a while to see if that was my problem.

Bottom line, unplug your power filter before doing anything in the tank when doing your water changes. When adding water back into the tank, make sure there is a large rock or something that you can pour the water directly over, otherwise it will stir the sand up and cause it to settle on top of all your other decorations. Once it is all settled where you want it, then, and only then, you can plug your filter back in.

It may sound like a lot of possible hassle having sand substrate, but it really isn't. I would actually consider having the sand substrate a large benefit to the overall well being and appearance of my tank :)

Last edited:

Crazy Cat Lady

Registered Member
Sep 6, 2015
A Place Full Of Cats
Hello, I (stupidly) volunteered to find something like this for the lfs to put up on their goldfish tanks, to try to explain how to keep them. I was wondering if I could use bits from your article? Full credit going to you of course. Mainly the bit about diet. It took sticking a 30cm ruler on the comet/common tank for people to start to realise that they get HUGE and can't live in a bowl. Now I'm hoping to educate people on the problems with their generic homebrand flakes and the problems they can potentially cause. :D

Also, I'm not sure if I missed it or not, but I don't remember reading to much about protein in your article, fancy goldfish can't process high levels of animal protein. When feeding goldfish a mixed diet always try to make sure that 60-70% of the protein you're giving them is from a plant based source, not an animal one. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store