goldfish breeding?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Understood, and I respect your viewpoints on those deals. Hopefully all this talk isn't just academic and the fish will be getting down to business and setting you up with some pretty ones for the future!

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
You probably won't have to worry about it. Unless there is a lot of cover for the eggs to fall into, the goldfish won't hesitate to eat the eggs as soon as they are laid. They have no parental protective instincts, that I've noticed. I did find a large clump of eggs on my water hyacinths (they will lay them in floating vegetation if they can) and scooped them out and hatched them elsewhere. Even so, my survival rate was quite low, and most of the fry were pretty dull.

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
That would be good. And you'll stand a chance of seeing the eggs once they've laid them. You'll be amazed at the number of them!!

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
yea, ive read there can be hundreds...thanks for that, i'll put some in later today. but its a bit wet at the moment outside (a bit isnt the word...i think a more suited word is 'terential rain', well, it would be if i could spell...), and i'll have to get right down back of garden to my other pond in order to get som parrots feather....i will venture out later like i say. because of the rain i havent got out to see if they have laid any yet, plus i just got in from school about an hour ago. i'll let you know if i see anything.
thanks again for all your help!

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
ok...rain stopped, so i went out. no eggs, but two plump fish (just hoping the others a male...there is only three in that pond). i put the parrots feather on the surface. i surely hope all goes as expected. :)

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
If you look at the fish from the top, a male will be slender and cigar-shaped, while the females will be plump. If they are ripe with eggs, it's pretty easy to tell. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store