Goldfish Disease - Red Fin Spots

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kayleekins

Registered Member
May 28, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I have a serious problem with one of my goldfish and I was hoping someone could help. Kaylee is a ~6 inch goldfish living in a 55 gallon tank without any known issues with water quality. She has started to develop red spots on her tail, which are now slowly showing up on her other fins. We have tried using tetracycline, pimafix, melafix and triple sulfa without any luck. We have recently started also giving her kanamycin pellets, which seemed to help for a little while, but is no longer improving things. Does anyone know what causes this or have any other suggestions? We are pretty desperate. Her behavior is still pretty good, she still eats well, but she is starting to spend some time hanging out on the bottom of the tank. Thank you so much for any help!

IMG_0335.JPG

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
Yes, its a bacterial infection of some sort. Start with a 50% water change and follow up with a 25% water change tomorrow...

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Diagnosing illnesses 100% accurately by one picture and a description is very difficult. With that said my guess would also be bacterial. I would start with excellent water quality (water changes galore), medicated pellets and if it is only goldfish in the tank with no plants I'd add some salt too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store