Goldfish eat their poop?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
One thing to remember when cleaning the filter media, is to always clean it in used tank water or dechlored/treated water. Rinsing in tap water destroys the biofilter by killing the bacteria, and will cause your tank to cycle. This is ESPECIALLY important with tanks that are bare bottom or with little decoration, as there is no other major area for the bacteria to colonize, as they would if you had gravel. With goldfish it is important to do daily water changes anyway, but no point making it any harder on yourself or your fish than is necessary.

Kristina

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
When rinsing the filter with tank water, does this need to be taken from the top?
When I vacuum the gravel, if I used that water it seems like that would add to the clogging, not clear it. *iz confused*

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Crude but I just wanted to update my ryukin ate a 2.5 inch poo and I watched amused as it kept chewing the poo with its gills releasing clouds of it and it spat only very little particles left which means it just ate most of the poop of the oranda.:yuck: Now I've seen everything.:nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store