Goldfish in a small decorative pond...please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pisces70

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
So...I had two 4-5" common goldfish that needed a new home and I listed them on CL. After a full week of being listed, I got one call and I delivered them to their new home only to find that the guy plopped them right away into a small decorative pond in his front yard and there is no shade and I'm sure no water conditioning or anything was added to this murky, icky water. I'm freaking out that I've doomed these poor fish to a certain death after I rescued them from being flushed by a previously careless owner. These poor fish can't catch a break and now I feel guilty for getting rid of them. I don't want the fish to suffer and die so I'm considering going back over there with some Prime and aquarium salt to help give the poor fish a fighting chance, is that crazy of me? They read my instructions but said they couldn't go get any supplies until later this week! The people were very nice and I'm supposed to meet with them again about a palm tree anyway, so would that be odd for me to treat the pond for the fish? That is, if they have survived until tomorrow afternoon. I'm concerned about them cooking in the sun as well. But there did appear to be some deeper, somewhat darker spots in the pond, is that good enough for the goldfish? This pond is one of those black rigid plastic pre-formed ponds, about 3 feet around, didn't notice any pond plants in it either. Are my fish doomed? :(

I've never kept a pond, in FL I would always hear about raccoons stealing the fish, so we never tried it. These people say they are going to set up a tank in the next few days, I think, and the fish will probably go in there. But...they also want to keep fiddler crabs in the tank?? Is that a bad idea? Doesn't sound good for the fish to me. I'm upset because as soon as I got home, I finally had one more call for the goldfish and that guy had a nice 300 gallon pond and sounded like he knew what he was doing when it comes to ponds and fish!! Rats! :(

pisces70

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
Anybody? I just want to know if these poor fish are going to end up dead overnight due to no water treatment in the little pond. I'm thinking they will. :(

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
If the water has been in the pond for a while, which it sounds like it has, any chlorine in the water has dissipated by now. If they had just filled it up???? It would not be good unless they are using well water.

I'm sorry it's turned out to be a bad situation. Perhaps it's better than you think and they just haven't got around to opening the pond up yet?

I wish I could help alleviate some of your worries with them. :(

pisces70

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
Well, I went over there today and the water was FREEZING cold and the little goldfish were way on the bottom of the pond barely moving. We had a temp drop this week, crazy. Anyway, they were very understanding and didn't want the fish to get sick or dead either, so they let me take them home with me and I'll simply help them out when they are ready to set up their fish tank in the house. WHEW!! So...I now have goldfish in my newly setup 30 gallon, which is the tank they were in at their previous careless owners. They are loving it and are very happy once again. Crisis averted. Happy outcome! :)

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
I am happy it turned out so well! You wouldn't have needed to add salt to the pond, though. Salt is only temporarily needed to treat illness such as ich.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store