Goldfish in Bowls

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

herp606

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
I am against keeping goldfish in bowls, but I discovered this website that is all for that. It says that stunted goldfish are actually healthier and live longer than normal ones, and it is backed up by years of evidence. I sort of doubt this is true...

Does anybody have any actual experience with keeping goldfish in bowls? I suppose there is only one way to find out if it is safe for the fish or not.

Edit: Iooks like l put this in the pond section... woops

Last edited:

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I had to stop reading that website after only a couple paragraphs. There is so much false information on that site I don't know where to begin. I think that site is a great example of the fact that just because someone makes a website saying something, doesn't mean its true.

herp606

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
That's what I thought too, but I've never kept a goldfish. I'm just trying to listen to both sides of the argument. The only way I can be sure is to actual keep goldfish in a bowl, goldfish in a tank, and find out which one is healthier, which I probably can't do at the moment.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Personally I think its cruel, a fish that size in such a small space... its like forcing a kid to grow up in a box.
Worse, since the fish uses that same space as a washroom too.

Just because it survives, doesn't mean its living.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Keeping goldfish in small bowls that are meant for making a salad or putting your spaghetti in it or something for Christmas table :) is cruel and false information.
Being in this hobby for almost/or 2 years now, I learn that goldfish should not be kept in small tanks/bowls as they do tend to grow too big for a 3 galon bowl and they need a tank up to 100/150 gallons, pond better.

I went to that lying pure goldfish web to comment there and saw this:

1B332C7A-11C3-4CB8-9866-EF1D01438E28.png
They blocked the comments as if they did not want to listen to someone if they say truth and almost exposing that they’re book contains nothing, but lies.
Same with carp fish (for christmas). Cruel as well.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
This is a slippery slope thing.

Can you make a goldfish live 6, 8 or whatever years in a bowl? Sure you can if change water all the time, feed lightly, feed quality foods, etc.

Just like keeping any pet in a tiny space. You can make it work, but it doesn't mean they're being kept well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store