Goldfish tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
A regular goldfish?

See my sig they are all together in one. Goldfish can handle up to 75 and fancy can handle a little more. The warmer the water, the more they poop and more oxygen they need. I am still tunning my temp and its at 78-79right now (aiming for 76-76.5), waters well aerated so they are fine. 77 I would say is the max temp.
none of the tropical fish in your sig should be kept in a 3ft tank, which is what the OP has. compatibility problems aside, they all get too big.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
The op isnt keeping it for life, just holding so I thought I would throw my info out. Whats the point in keeping fish if they dont get huge!
That question is unnecessary IMO. Whats wrong with smaller fish?

My final tank will be hundreds and hundreds of gallons, so I know that isnt me
Well I dont think the OP wants to commit to a tank that large just from buying a goldfish as a rescue (which I applaud). This is getting off topic...

IMHO, I would keep the fish in the tank alone as the tank you have is pretty much the minimum for a messy fish like you have. In a non-cyled tank you will also have to keep up on the wc's so the less bioload the better.

Once the goldie is rehomed than you will have many options for stocking. Great job on the rescue! :)

gyp5y5

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
Big Mac (Mrs Goldfish) is still enjoying her new home and loved chasing the daphnia around the tank today. When she goes to her new home we will be putting all the fishies that we currently have in 3 small tanks into her 3ft. We need to free up some space as we currently have a 6ft, two 3fts and the three small tanks - it's getting a little crowded in here.

Felt a bit silly spending so much money on a fish that wasn't even ours (cost £120 to kit her out) but I wanted another 3ft tank eventually and I really couldn't have left her like that. It was truly pitiful, she just lay at the bottom of the tank she was in, no room to swim. She hasn't stopped for a moment and I am now worried that she didn't sleep last night! I'm daft!

Anyway, everyone's kind, encouraging words have made me not feel like such a soft silly fool, so thank you.

x

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
It's always wonderful to hear about a successful goldfish rescue. :clap::clap::clap:

I agree with the others - she might be lonely but you're better off keeping her alone since goldfish are the best tankmates for goldfish. Unless your friend has room for a large tank, I'd send the fish off to the pond-owner. Comets (like the fish in the photo you posted) easily grow over a foot long and need lots of room. I'm eyeing 90 gallon tanks for my fish at this point.

As far as making her comfy for now, clean water, regular water changes, and good food. You could try giving her some live brine shrimp. My goldies adore brine shrimp.

Deonne

Registered Member
Mar 16, 2016
I saw on u tube that clown loaches do OK in a goldfish tànk since they stay on the bottom I have 4 plain Goldfish in my 30 gallon so I wanna try a clown loach.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store