goldfish with algae eater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waltb2000

AC Members
Mar 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
I'm brand new to all of this but it hasn't taken me long to learn to be suspicious of pet store advice. We have a 12 gallon Eclipse with a Biowheel filter, heater, and airstone. The pet shop sold us two, two inch (fork length) goldfish and an algae eater (2 & 1/2 inch fork length). Are the g/f and algae eater compatible? From what I've been reading it seems as if g/f don't mix well with other fishes, yet I've learned that the two fishes' pH requirements are similar and if I keep the temp at about 72 degrees their temp requirements will be met as well. Should I keep them together or get another tank to separate them (we wouldn't mind keeping both a g/f tank and a tropical tank)? Also, the shop told us that I can feed them all with g/f flakes, and that the algae eater will eat the food that sinks to the bottom. Shouldn't I feed the algae eater with either sinking food or algae tablets as well? Lastly, could we add more g/f to the tank, or preferably a different species? If so, how many more fish can we safely add? I've read that g/f grow to the size of the tank, so would it be problematic to add two or three more?
Thanks!

TJcanada

AC Members
I've read that g/f grow to the size of the tank
-Not true at all...... what will happen as they grow is that they will foul the water in the 12gal much quicker and if left too long in that small of space thier growth may begin to stunt - while thier skeleton continues to grow the tissues don't - leading to some form of disfigurement. What variety of goldfish are they? Fancy - Common? Adding anymore g/f fish to this tank wouldn't be a good idea, soon you'll need to upgrade the tank you have those 2 in. Any other fish are out as well....

What species of algae eater do you have? A pleco or loach? Either way I would be cautious of keeping it with the g/f - flake food isn't enough imo, algae waffers and sinking pellets would be a good idea - not all "algae eaters" continue to maintain algae as thier sole diet - most only eat it as juveniles and then as they get older tend to eat other things as well.

As for the g/f's diet... as with any fish a varied diet is a good idea - treat them once in a while with frozen foods or freez dried foods - the odd offering of live food.

Just my thoughts, TJ

waltb2000

AC Members
Mar 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Thanks, TJ!
The g/f are very common (no fancy caudal fin), and the algae eater is a Gyrinocheilus aymonieri (a loach?). I guess what we'll do is get a bigger tank when the g/f get bigger. What's the maximum length they can obtain before they need larger accomodations?
Thanks again,
Walt

TJcanada

AC Members
Chinese Algae Eater/Sucker Loach Nasty buggers... lol can't stand them personally;)

The sooner you rehouse the goldfish the better imo. Commons can reach a rather large size - 12-15inches(I've seen some as big as 24inches - in ponds), they can grow quite quickly given the proper conditions. Monitor your water quality, when you notice that it's heading south faster than usual between waterchanges then it's a good indicator it's time for more water and more filtration. As goldfish grow the waste they output becomes greater(and I don't just mean poop ;)). I'd hate to put a "size limit" on when to move them to a bigger tank, it's not just length it's mass as well. If you are looking for them to develope well then the bigger the tank you can get the better - 55gal would be good for a start for 2 commons plus the loach. I'm not saying to rush out and buy a larger home right this minute but definately think about it with in the next 6months.

There are several ways to keep fish, no one does it quite the same and every hobbiest finds what works for thier own set up(s). Everyone has his/her own opinion on how and why things should be done.
I'm a big believer in more water less fish - easier to manage and crowded conditions usually lead to health issues in the long run, but maintenance always plays the number one role in fish keeping(waterchanges/filter upkeep/etc.) in order to keep your wetpets healthy.

Just my thoughts, TJ

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Welcome...

Walt, to Aquaria Central, home of the most golden fishkeepers on the internet:)

Well, you're breaking into fishkeeping the same way I did, and yes, you'll need a bigger tank, soon. If you want to GF, you should be looking at a second tank in the 37g range and I'd think you could three in that tank.

The airstone is good fit with GF, it aerates the surface of the water which allows more oxygen to get into the water, which is the major way to oxygenate it (not the bubbles). I use a bubble wand which is a little more attractive to my eye for the same purpose.

GF feed at all water levels, which is one of the attractions I have, so I don't use flakes. I use pellets, some will sink, some will stay at the top. TJ's advice about the loach is good. Plus, they can also get big, which will further add to the total bioload put on your system.

Good luck.

Val

B

BigFishDude

37 gallons is too small for two full grown comet let alone three.

I would get at least (and I mean the very least) a 55 gallon for the two comets and thats it.

Better yet, have you ever thought about building a small pond in your yard. That is probably the best place for comets, a nice spacious pond to cruise around in :). Eating bugs and all that good stuff. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store