good algae eater for a 10g algae forest

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I am tired of not being able to see my plants, and was wondering what a good algae eater for the tank would be? I have only one rule.

NO SHRIMP! I tend not to do very many water changes, and shrimp poop too much for me to be comfortable keeping them.

other livestock (for now) includes
2 female bettas
1-3 ottos (I itro'd the three from my 29g into there, but have only seen one at a time since, but think there is at least 2)

I am planning to introduce 4-6 tiny tetras (either neon or glowlight) at some point.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Wrong. Shrimps don't contribute too much bioload as snails do.;) Which algae problem do you have? Bettas are bound to harass the shrimps anyway. You could do nerites but nerite snails need calcium dosing to avoid shell erosion. If you're willing to provide calcium, the snails are for you. Nerites are the most effective algae eaters I have seen. Be sure to supply them algae. They prefer those more than anything else.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
full? as of now, there are about three fish in there (pretty sure that there is only one otto) all under 2". the tank is fed, at most, once every few weeks with 2-4 betta pellets. not a high bioload at all, IMHO.

the source of the problem is probably the light I have (its 65 watts, I needed something I could use quickly, and it was all I had) but I now have enough money to get a better suited light. going to be running an 18 watt light from now on.

unfortionatly, I will not be dosing anything for the tank. I barely feel comfortable dosing things on my reef, and will not be even trying it in a 10g FW setup for snails. ;)

maybe I'll give some ghost shrimp a try, they are pretty cool, and cheap. if my bettas bother them, it isnt a big loss. hmm...

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
the tank is fed, at most, once every few weeks with 2-4 betta pellets.
I hope that was a typo, fish need to be constantly fed at least once every 2 days. They are able to go for 2 weeks with no feeding, but that should only be done if you're going on vacation. 2 Female bettas in a 10 gallon tank seems pretty full to me too, not from the bioload, but from the territory the females need. I would try ghost shrimp too and see how they do with the bettas.

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
I agree with Jon. I have people all the time that want something to clean the algae in their tanks. Most of the time it is with people that have 10 gallon tanks and they are looking at the plecos. I tell them 1) they get too big for your tank (the ones we carry). 2) do regular maintenance on the tank. I think in your case you have two problems regular maintenance and the fact that your wattage is high on you tank. I never recommend chemicals to get rid of algae. I feel that if you have algae growing that's it's a problem that you have to solve.

drew81

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
inca snail...kept my tank clean until it wanted an adventure and decided to climb out of my tank to the floor

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Plenty of water changes sound like they are needed here, not to treat the problem alone with the addition of algae eaters, but to treat the cause. Also, if you added 3 ottos, and now think there is only 1, where are the remains of the other 2?
I dont have any big algae problems im my tanks, but my baby BN plecos are awsome little fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store