Good, bad or otherwise? Little coral??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
Here are a couple of sucky pix... my camera isn't very good... sorry.
It's very small, as you can see in the pic with the polyp next to it. It has a blue-ish tint to it, and on each of the arms there are tiny feathery pieces up and down each side. It doesn't hide when you touch it, it only acts like it's trying to grab you. It came in on the same rock as the polyp pictured with it, so I'm not sure what it is. Should it stay? Go? Any ideas/advice appreciated.
TIA!

coral01.jpg coral02.jpg coral03.jpg

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Clover ;) your fine.. theyll weed out quick though

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Keep it, and I'd leave it be for now. Once you have more of either of them, then I'd consider moving one or the other if you like. At this point, cutting one or the other off the rock to relocate it is a little risky since there's only one of each.

I almost want to say it looks like a silvery - blue variety of Anthelia, but it could just as easily be a clove polyp.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
If you do a Google image search for each, you'll find pix that show a little more detail that you can use to compare to yours in your tank. Once it grows into more polyps, it'll also be easier to tell the difference, as the base / mat of each is noticably different.

I personally like each of them, or at least certain color varieties of each of them. Many people consider Anthelia a nuissance because it can grow and spread very quickly, but I also know a few people that feel the same way about clove polyps. Being silvery-blue, I think you ended up with a good color variety to have, but that's simply my opinion -- I like blue Anthelia, and I found that color variety very easy to trade / sell when I had some of it before our rabbitfish ate it all.

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
Ok, will do. I happen to really like it, too. I think it's a pretty color. If it kills all the other corals somehow then we'll have a problem, but hopefully I can keep it trimmed back if it sprouts up in unwanted areas.
Thanks for the help!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Fortunately, IMO, the best chance for either of those corals to harm other corals is to smother them by growing over top of them. If that starts to happen, it is very easy to control.

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
I'm leaning towards it being anthelia now, as the little fingers will curl up in a tight ball when you mess with them, but the stalk doesn't go in, where I think the Clove can pull itself all the way in.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Clavulariids (cloves) have calyces that they can fully retract into, almost like a tube. None of the Xeniids can do that, including Anthelia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store