Good setup? Any adivice?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
Currently have my first actual planted aquarium, it's 55 gallons, 2 aqua tech 20-40 gallon filters, 21 inch marineland led light bar(6500k white and 460nm blue) viva aqua 300 watt heater(keeps temperature at 75.3℉) 3 inches of seachem black flourite substrate, for plants there is dwarf hairgrass and dwarf sag that so far is doing extremely well. So far there is 3 cory catfish, 1 Siamese algae eater, 4 ghost shrimp, 3 nerite snails.(had a brown dust algae to get rid of now is completely gone) does anyone have any suggestions or should this setup be good? I do intend to get more plants just haven't decided on what to get and I know for sure I will soon be getting some kuhli loaches. Suggestions on what's plants to get and what fish will be greatly appreciated.

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
Currently have my first actual planted aquarium, it's 55 gallons, 2 aqua tech 20-40 gallon filters, 21 inch marineland led light bar(6500k white and 460nm blue) viva aqua 300 watt heater(keeps temperature at 75.3℉) 3 inches of seachem black flourite substrate, for plants there is dwarf hairgrass and dwarf sag that so far is doing extremely well. So far there is 3 cory catfish, 1 Siamese algae eater, 4 ghost shrimp, 3 nerite snails.(had a brown dust algae to get rid of now is completely gone) does anyone have any suggestions or should this setup be good? I do intend to get more plants just haven't decided on what to get and I know for sure I will soon be getting some kuhli loaches. Suggestions on what's plants to get and what fish will be greatly appreciated. Also I forgot there is 2 mollies(3 weeks old)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Will you be adding CO2, ferts?
Always nice to get some stem plants for either one side or back ground.

Me, I always like sword plants--Echinodorus.

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
I put some root tabs just for basically a booster, had these plants for a few years now and they didn't take the transfer so well. I'd like to stay low-medium tech but I know better and I will eventually start co2 and switch to canister filter. But for as of now that won't happen any time soon, I also use API leaf zone every two weeks, I tend to get brighter green from the dwarf sag using this, without they tend to get a very dark green

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
I like the amazon swords. The broad ludwigia and water sprite are the ones that really caught my attention

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
An amazon sword will take over a 55g. I've got one in my 55 and have to cut it back. I don't give it any root tabs and it's in ordinary aquarium gravel.

Thomas, I'd double or triple your number of cory catfish and maybe add a centerpiece fish like an angel or gourami.

In my 55 with plants, I've got a mish-mash of fish:

1 koi angel
1 female pearl gourami
1 zebra danio
1 male neon swordtail
2 siamese algae eaters
7 panda corys.

Plants are the amazon sword, java fern various anubia and most recently, some crypts. My wisteria and water sprite has died off to basically nothing over a few years.

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
I do plan on having for sure no less then 6 Cory, and 12 kuhli loaches, reason I only have 3 cory right now is I was having diatom issue and with me putting small amount of food and used filter systems that were running on other tank for a month to jump start this one I didn't want to get 6 Cory right off the back with the aquarium just got done cycling 2 weeks ago

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, that's wise. As long lived as corys are, they don't do well if water params aren't quite there yet.

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
I was being very cautious about them. I never have any type of schooling fish in any less then 6 per group

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Water sprite is a fern & easy to grow either floating; attached to rock or wood or in any substrate as long as the crown (where the leaves & roots meet) is NOT buried. Low-medium light is fine, it's pretty & bushy in my tank. 1 is enough, well, maybe 1 at each end.

Swords, as Freshy said, can get big!

I'd wait to add kuhlis, they like a mature tank. & yes, get more corys of the same species. Both are fun!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store