Goodbye FX5...Hello Rena XP4

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
did you transfer any mulm debris from your old filter to this new one?
if not, then your filter has to biologically cycle which could take weeks.
patience young skywalker...
other than being a pain in the butt to prime,
Rena XP# filters are quiet long lasting work horses,
supported by an easy supply of replacement parts.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
The FX5 should be under warranty. Get it fixed / replaced, then sell it if you don't want anything more to do with it. No sense just giving up the money.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
did you transfer any mulm debris from your old filter to this new one?
if not, then your filter has to biologically cycle which could take weeks.
patience young skywalker...
other than being a pain in the butt to prime,
Rena XP# filters are quiet long lasting work horses,
supported by an easy supply of replacement parts.
I often hear that one about the XPs being hard to prime. I maintain over a dozen of them in various sizes and find that the only time I need to prime them aside from initial setup is if I don't put enough water in the canister when I'm done cleaning it. When you clamp down the lid water should squirt out. One of mine is on a turtle tank and the discharge is over a foot above water level. No problems with losing prime.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I hear it less with the newer models vice ones from years ago....

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
I've never had issues with priming on my Xp3 or Xp4. I don't understand what's so difficult.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I have an xp3 and an xp2. I have had trouble with flow dropping off significantly after just a few days.....I have to clean them ALOT!!!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I have an xp3 and an xp2. I have had trouble with flow dropping off significantly after just a few days.....I have to clean them ALOT!!!
How do you arrange your media?

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Sounds like you are most likely not stocking the media correctly and something is binding..

I had issue once with my eheim when I accidentally placed the fine filter pad ontop of the lattuce instead of under it.. Needed fixing in a couple days...

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I am trying to remember...but have the stock media arranged according to their instructions. I also do not have an issue with priming once I got them set up (the initial prime was a pain though!!). I stopped using the fine filtering pad and they last a lot longer in between. What media do you have in yours?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store