Got a black ghost

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lund

AC Members
Jan 6, 2006
Michigan
I just got a black ghost knife. I read that they are sensitive to meds. Is this true, and if so how do you get around treating for the most common illnesses. Mine isn't sick, I was just wanting to get ahead of the game before it gets sick.

I heard about using salt to cure ich. Does salt also help with other illnesses? And is ok for the bgk??

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
northstar specalizes in exotics, especially knives.

reziztor

I'm the man in the box
Oct 20, 2005
Korea
I have kept 3 Black Ghosts for two years now. I find that if they are fed with live foods, have many caves to hide in and a soft sand for them to pilfer through they are stronger and deal with the medications much better. Knives get big and like a lot of space. If you are keeping them in a 30 gallon with no caves and regular gravel, they will get sick easier and die from meds.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
there are special medicines at your LFS that should be able to treat scaleless fish like Black Ghost Knives. Shouldn't be a problem, man.

I don't know what they are... I can't remember... had my BGK like 4 years ago... but they have good medicines there.

hc8719

AC Members
Jul 28, 2006
BGK are a scaleless fish, they dont react well to meds, most meds anyway.

what was said about them having live foods, and caves will help them stay healthier because live/frozen foods are the healthiest, ghost need max protein, and if they have places to hide, they are less stressed = high immune system.

i keep mine fed twice daily on bloodworms. make sure the the BGK is getting enough, as they are timid and easily bullied when younger, feeding at night works best

i used pimafix on mine when he got extensive fin damage, but be warned, pimafix is known to cause cancer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store