Got a new air stone/pump but it isn't bubbling to full potential

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Winterose

AngelFish Lover
Sep 6, 2008
Conneticut
www.kaligh.com
ok so i got an air pump and air stone for my fish tank... I just got it and put it in and setting everything up. but it isn't bubbling all along the stone and the bubbles aren't really creating any surface agitation like i thought they would. is it just because the stone hasn't been used before and it needs to absorb some water first or whats going on only about 1/3 of the air stone is bubbling. can anyone help?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
You need a stronger pump or a smaller air stone. Keep in mind that deeper tanks need stronger pumps, as well.

Winterose

AngelFish Lover
Sep 6, 2008
Conneticut
www.kaligh.com
but i got both pump and stone rated for a 20-25g tank so how could i need it bigger? it appears to be bubbling a little more now...

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
Make sure that the air hose and the actual stone "nubby" are completely connected. There can't be any space between them.
Also, if you attached one of those little t-bar control thingy's, you might need to adjust that given that it gives you the option to turn it down, or off during feeding/cleaning time.
Good luck!

KD

FluffynTex

Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!
May 21, 2008
West Texas
when my bubble bars arent putting out bubbles along the entire bar I blow through the hose really hard and that will open it up so that it does. I have had this happen numerous times and it always works, sometimes you have to do it two or three really good hard blows to get it all opened up, sometimes dust and stuff clogs it up.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i would take the air pump back and get the next size bigger and you will have alot more bubbles coming out of the air stone. i always use air pumps rated at least 2 times bigger then the size of my tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store