got a new tank...and an expected fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Ok so I am now officially a saltwater tank owner(pics to come). Problem is the guy I bought the tank from neglected to tell me I was getting a small fish(I thought it was just live rock and water). Anyway, i got the tank home just a little bit ago and have to work early tomorrow. I would like to clean the crushed coral out and wipe the tank down and shine it up a little before I set it back up. I currently have the little guy in a 18 gallon plastic tote filled with saltwater and live rock(65 pounds) from his tank. I put the included pump on it for some circulation. Will he be ok like this for a day or so while I get everything up and running again?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
as long as you are filtering and heating the tub the fish will be fine. if the type of fish you have is a known jumper you may want to fashion some sort of lid for the tub.

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
finally, IDed the fish. 3 spot domino damsel. brand new tote with a lid so it will be covered. disappeared into the live rock right when i put it in the tub. haven't seen it since. temp has been holding steady around 75 but i will put some heat on it to be safe. thanks for the replies. cant wait to start cleaning and reassembling the tank

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Looking forward to pics! Congratz!!!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The damsel will be fine but if it were me, I'd take the little demon to the LFS to hold until the tank was cleaned up or for a little store credit. He was probably by himself in the tank because he terrorized every other fish he had :).

Congrats on the new tank. What size is it BTW?

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Thanks guppygirl. I am thinking of stopping on the way home from work and buying a small aquarium kit (10 gal) and putting the fish in that with some of the live rock and water while i get the main tank ready. then i will use it as a QT later. Not sure what to do with this fish though, i am reading that they become majorly aggressive.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
I'm with greech. I would have immediately taken him to the fish store. Because damsels generally become a pain in the butt, and they're so fast that if you want to take them out of an established tank you have to take the live rock out half the time to catch them. Unless you can trap them in something, but sometimes they're too smart for that.

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Thanks Greech. Not sure what I want to do with it yet. Just about 1.5" just a little one still. Figured I could use him to get the tank adapted again once I put all the rock back in, plus probably some more and change the substrate(it came with crushed coral). Its a 75 gallon. Gonna be a FOWLR but still haven't made the decision on what kinds of fish to keep.

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
I figured that out already. He jumped in one of the live rocks while we were taking them out and rode it to the storage tote before I noticed he wasn't in the tank. What would be a good fish to put in there that can ride out the tank being reset? I would guess that it is gonna need some time to stabilize after I add new sand and new water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store