gouramis vs. cories

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mainer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
Hey guys, i have 6 tetras in my 10 gal right now 4 head & tail lights. 1 serpae and 1 lemon tetra(i think it is). I want to get either 3 cories or maybe a gourami. Do gouramis do okay alone? also with the serpae should i worry about fin nipping. He hasnt been nipping yet and hes been with the H&T's for a few weeks. i want some more color in my tank thats why i was recently thinking about gouramis. any other recommendations would be awesome!. thanks :eek:

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Your best bet would be a bigger tank, if possible. In a 20, tetras would appreciate a bigger space, and then you'd be able to add some (maybe 3-4) small cories to fill the bottom part.

mainer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
im no master of the aquarium world but i have been on here for a good month and all this time i have thrown out different combos of fish and everyone seemed to agree with them about amount at least. i dont see how now a 10 gallon tank can only hold 6 small tetras. head & tail light tetras arent exactly beastly in size so im lost..... anyone with some advice THANKS GUYS!! :huh:

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
I would advise you to take out the two lone tetras (the lemon and serpae) since they would do better with a group, and your 10 gallon won't be able to accomodate three groups of tetras. You could add one or two more head-and-tail light tetras for a more complete school (although 6 is hardly large).

As for the gouramies and cories, I would advise you to get one or the other, not both, because there will not be enough space. Gouramies will do fine alone, so a dwarf gourami would be a good choice, or 2 or 3 cories, since they too need groups. If you keep up with maintenance diligently, it is even possible to get 2 cories and 1 dwarf gourami provided you take out the two lone tetras.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Have you looked at the adult size of those tetras? If you had say 6 neon tetras that might be different or glowlights. I had 5 white cloud minnows and 3 cories and that was about max, but still less bioload than 6 of the bigger tetras. I would guess that a gourami and the serpae would probably be pretty aggressive to each other.

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
go for the cories... they are very fun to watch, get 3 or four of them too

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
mainer said:
Hey guys, i have 6 tetras in my 10 gal right now 4 head & tail lights. 1 serpae and 1 lemon tetra(i think it is). I want to get either 3 cories or maybe a gourami. Do gouramis do okay alone? also with the serpae should i worry about fin nipping. He hasnt been nipping yet and hes been with the H&T's for a few weeks. i want some more color in my tank thats why i was recently thinking about gouramis. any other recommendations would be awesome!. thanks :eek:
Sorry--I misread your post! I read 6 neons, 4 H&T, plus 1 lemon and 1 serpae. I'd remove the solos, and then you'd have room for either a trio of smaller cories (like pandas or skunks), or a single dwarf gouramie, which will be fine by itself.

mainer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
aright that sounds more like it. lol sorry for the bad sentence structure on my part. But yea i wanted to get either 3 paleatus cories or 1 dwarf gourami or 2 if possible. I know i should get rid of the two lone tetras but they seem to do so well with the head and tails, they are constantly together, plus they were my cycling fish so im kinda attached. i just wished at the time the guy at the store didnt tell me i could get one of each. Thanks guys !!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store