Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Graduating from a 5g tank to 27g tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by rockarolla70, Oct 8, 2018.

1. rockarolla70

rockarolla70 AC Members

Krish
    Today at 7:12 AM
    Krish
    Hi all,
    Firstly am new to this forum & secondly need some expert advice from fish keeping guru's.
    I have taken up this hobby recently, to start with I wanted to try with small tank and some easy going fishes & finally thought of having next level nano tank. I have done quite a bit research and my pet shop owner is a expert in fish keeping. Below given is the statics of my new tank which has minimal aquascaping done.

Size: 27.5g Tank
    Type: Non-Co2 - Freshwater Fish Tank
    Filter: EHEIM Classic 350 (2215) External Canister Filter, Jardli Glass Lily pipes
    Aquascaping: Minimal (Center-Island style)
    Deco: Driftwood, Dragon Rocks, Colorado Sand, Java moss & Anubias Nana
    Note: The water in the tank is being recycled presently without any livestock in it, after the aquascaping four rounds of water change has been performed, the tank is almost matured.

I am planning to have the below livestock in the coming week. I wanted to know from the SME's if the livestock is perfect ??

Livestock (Non-aggressive)
    8 - Harlequin Rasboras
    8 - Cardinal Tetras
    15 - Cherry Shrimp

Suggestions/Opinions are highly appreciated.

2. DefJ123

DefJ123 AC Members

Today at 9:16 AM
    As said in the other thread, you could double up on those if you wanted.

What readings are your water params giving?

Cherry shrimp are quite fun, they will establish a colony rather fast and breed prolificly. Good thing they have essentially zero bio load on the tank. My 6gal Fluval Flex must have over 100 of them now...

fishorama likes this.
  3. rockarolla70

rockarolla70 AC Members

Krish
    Krish
    Hi DefJ123, below is the readings sent by my pet show owner where my tank is getting recycled/matured.

pH = 6.9
    Ammonia = 0.2 (question: why is this reading of 0.2 when there is no live stock yet??)
    Nitrite = 0.0
    Nitrate = 32

Secondly when you said I can double up my live stock, you mean I can go up to 30 fishes (Harlequin Rasboras + Cardinal Tetras) excluding Cherry shrimps ?? So including the shrimps the total live stock will be 45 (to start with)

4. rockarolla70

rockarolla70 AC Members

Krish
    Krish
    Wanted to add this pic too. Shows how my tank looks as of now. As I mentioned before, the water changes/recycling are done at the place my aquarium was built and aquascaping was done.

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 10.45.51 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 10.45.47 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 10.45.49 AM.jpeg

5. DefJ123

DefJ123 AC Members

Today at 9:16 AM
    Nice looking tank!

If thats your readings, something has caused a spike. Is there any rotted plant pieces? That can cause some ammonia.

I would not add that many fish at once. Start with 4-5 at a time, then once your tank catches up to the new bio load you can add some more. Youll crash the cycle adding that many fish at once. Just take it slow :)

Personally, I would add shrimp last once your done adding fish. Neocaridinas need pristine water.

rockarolla70 likes this.
  6. rockarolla70

rockarolla70 AC Members

Krish
    Krish
    Thanks !! I will check on the plant for spike.
    What I understand from your suggestion is that I should not add 16 (8+8) at once and I need to add only 8 (4-Harlequin Rasboras & 4Cardinal Tetras) first & then add the next in the second lot ... right.

- If I do this way I thought the first lot would have claimed the territory & when I add the next ... will there be any frictions.
    - I thought shrimps to be add first once tank matures ... then comes the fishes, correct me if am wrong.

7. the loach

the loach AC Members

27 minutes ago
    You can have 10 cardinals, 10 harlequins and 10 embers in the tank.
    Mixing cardinals and neons ... it's better to have 20 of one as 10/10 of either.
    They don't claim territory you add them in small numbers to build up a colony of nitrifying bacteria first.

rockarolla70 likes this.