Grapevine wood in aquaria?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

el wadd

Master of the Stupid Question.
Sep 26, 2006
uranus
I was at the LFS and noticed a huge pile of assorted grapevine type wood. Like the kind used in lizard tanks.

Can this wood be used in aquaria?

el wadd

Sep 26, 2006
uranus
well, I could see it rotting, but as far as chemicals go, I think it's safe. It has a tag that states aquarium safe.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i've heard good and bad about this. i have "grape wood" which is not grape vine, and it's big and knobby. i've been using it for a year with no ill effects. i got it from the lizard section of my petstore, already heat-treated (baked)
i can't remember the brand name.

el wadd

Sep 26, 2006
uranus
yeah that was a helpful article... I forgot about the fungus that grows on the gravevine stuff.....I've seen it, and that alone makes me drop that idea..

thanks.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
absolutely not. grapewood, when submerged for long periods of time, will rot quicker than most woods (because it is not truly wood, but hardened vine), and it will ALWAYS grow an excessive amount of fungus that in large amounts, can be detrimental to both the fish and the bacteria cycle.

yes, it is sold as an aquarium safe wood, but you will see that it is more trouble than it is worth.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
why is it i've never had any trouble with mine? is it because it was heat treated?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
why is it i've never had any trouble with mine? is it because it was heat treated?
perhaps, and there is also the remote chance that it really isnt grapewood, and instead something that resembles it that may have been cheaper to manufacture.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store