Gravel leaching ammonia?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ldymcbeth6

AC Members
Jan 21, 2008
Illinois
Hi...I assume gravel is a "product" so I hope this is the right place...

My tank had 0 ammonia for several days. I had glass marbles and wanted an ADF and was worried he'd get stuck in when one rolled, so I switched to a course sand or fine gravel, whichever. I got it at the LFS and I rinsed it very well until there was no cloud in the water.

Now, every time I test the water the ammonia is over 1ppm. Even if it's three hours after a 75% change. I didn't believe my one little betta and ADF are making that much ammonia! So I took some of the sand in a glass cup and poured on some bottled water, which I had tested for ammonia beforehand. Half a day later--ammonia is off the chart.

The test kit is API master kit and it's good--I have another tank and it's testing that one fine. So, it's the gravel right? I haven't missed something?

2 1/2 gal Hex tank. 1 betta, 1 adf. course sand substrate, one fake plant and one little cave for the frog to hide is all that's in there. Has an internal filter for 1-3 gal and a heater at 78.

THanks!!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
When you tested the sand in the cup, was the sand taken from the bag or the tank? What brand sand/fine gravel is it? Do you notice much leftover food sitting on the bottom of your tank?

ldymcbeth6

AC Members
Jan 21, 2008
Illinois
Weeeelll, I wish I knew what brand...I wasn't expecting this issue and the garbage service came that day....

I always use a turkey baster to suck up any uneated food in the a.m. and as long as I've been in there sucking out water, I've just been sucking up whatever I see--the sand isn't white, but it's very light and everything shows up on it. I've been changing out water twice a day for three days now. I just got the bright idea it might be the sand/gravel last afternoon.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
could be a mini-cycle, and if your water is treated with a high amount of chlorimines, that would account for the high ammonia. With an internal filter I would be willing to bet the largest portion of your bacteria bed was in your gravel.... I would hold on the PWC since they seem to have no effect. Sand can't leach ammonia since sand doesn't have ammonia. If ammonia reaches above 1.5 PPM, then do a WC.

ldymcbeth6

AC Members
Jan 21, 2008
Illinois
Yes, I soaked it a few minutes in some primed water before I put it in the tank. I'll keep trying the water changes. I know it's a small tank and things get out of control quickly. I just really didn't think glass marbles would hold much bacteria. The fish and frog aren't showing any signs of stress, though.

Zaphod414

AC Members
Aug 2, 2020
I know this is an old thread, but it still features prominently in google, so I just wanted to add my input here for anyone else that gets directed here. I currently have something leaching out of the sand I use as substrate that my ammonia test kit is reading as ammonia. I have made my own post in this forum that contains much more detail if anyone wants to have a look at it - forums/threads/false-ammonia-readings-caused-by-something-leaching-from-my-sand-substrate.291057

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store