Gravel on top of flourite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
quick math for ya...
assuming you got 1 gallon of water...
5 pints = 10 cups
8 pints is a gallon therefore 16 cups
for every cup you'll need a 1/4 cup of fresh from your gallon. you'll have 6 left.
10 X .25 = 2.5 or 2 1/2 cups from the gallon. that leaves you 3 1/2 cups to drink.
you'll also net yourself 12 1/2 cups 4dKH. that's 3 quarts and 1/2 cup.

long process huh, but writing it helped me through the thought so i'm leaving it. point is you can measure out 3 quarts and 1/2 cup and mix that with 1/16 tsp of baking soda.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i did the math for all of them and this is what i got...

1/2 tsp bs, 6 gallons and 1 quart h20...
1/4 tsp 3 gallons and 1 pint...
1/8 tsp 1 gallon and 9 cups... or 1 1/2 gal, 1 cup...
1/16 tsp 3 quarts and 1/2 cup...
1/32 tsp and 3 1/4 cups

i asked about it here: (http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199582) as i thought it was appropriate.

and that is the final formulas for 4dKH as far as i see.

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Whew! Thats a lot of math :)
I think I get it now....
lets sat 1/16 bs, I would need 3 quarts of dis. water and a 1/2 cup of water to make 4dkh. Or is it the other way around? (thanks for all this math help I'm still in summer mode)

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
this is a little cleaner:
4dKH.jpg

so yes... but make sure all your water is distilled or 0dKH to start with.
that's why i did the math for you. it's straight forward now. dump in all the water... dump in your baking soda... mix... good to go!

4dKH.jpg

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
no problem... i did a little more math to be a little more precise. the original number was .48 tsp. that's 96% of a half a tsp. i figured i could get my water closer than my teaspoons so i took 96% of that. i kept my original stats in there. i did notice i put cups instead of pints in the last column also. i have actually been banging my head against the wall from time to time myself wanting to know this, so no biggie. a drop checker is on my list now and i've actually finally started building my hood so that's a benefit. :p:

anyway here is the corrected pic... and it's finally final :clap::
4dKH.jpg

oops again... that last one is .23875 cup, not .119375... never mind, fixed now

4dKH.jpg

Last edited:

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
4dkh drop checker solution - http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers/kh-standard.html

a little bit of money and some advil and your headache is gone!
i think it's worth it. if one of us can come up with a reliable way to make 4dkh in small enough quantities with things we would normally have then the rest of us can stop throwing our money away one at a time. i mean cummon... $12 - $20 for a pint of water? i'm not paying that when armageddon hits. i found 5 dKH easy enough when i needed it. i can do this too... i think. :duh:... :hypnotized:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store