gravel or sand or what do I need ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
The substrate you use can depend on several things. Gravels and general sands like PFS and Play sand are all inert. No nutrients. For any and all of your root feeding plants id highly recommend getting some root tabs. I prefer the ones made with Osmocote Plus. On 2 of my tanks I used a natural product called Text blast. Its gravel thats bigger then sand but not pea sized either. Somewhere in between. It works great. Easy to plant in. Ive also used PFS. On both of these I put a Small layer (very small layer) of osmocote under the gravel on the bottom of the glass of the tank. Its helped greatly in adding some nutrients. But far from optimal.

As far as what substrate to use really depends on what you want to do. The best out there is Aquasoil by Ada. Its got the highest nutrient content and works great. It also depends on what you want to spend. If your going to chose between gravel and sand. Go with Pool Filter sand. Personally I think its a better substrate for plants to grow into. Id also get root tabs and MTS. The MTS will keep the sand from forming stagnate spots.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store