"Gray crust" on angelfish. Columnaris? Cotton wool disease? Treatment options?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I've had a group of angelfish for a little under a month. They went through quarantine just fine but within the past couple days I noticed a gray sheen on a couple of their bodies. Wasn't sure what it was but now it's developed into a full crusty growth, and I'm not sure what it is. To make matters worse they're in the main tank with catfish, snails and live plants so I have to be careful what medication I use. The most I could do right now was a 50% water change as I'm busy with work today. I desperately need advice quick before I go looking for treatments tomorrow because it's looking like any one of the possible illnesses that looks like it is highly contagious and potential community killers...

(The second image was right after the water change so excuse the bubbles).

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure what it is, I'm sorry. It could be columnaris, other bacterial infection or even (less usual) fungus. My best advice is to use a gram negative & gram positive antibiotic like Maracin 1 & 2 both together. Follow the directions for dosage & water changes...& if they seem to be helping go a dose or even 3 longer than the recomended treatment length.

I haven't seen more than a little bit of unhappy plants when medicating, they almost always recover IME. Shrimp & snails are more iffy. Pest snail are usually OK or enough to come back. Shrimp I have less experience with meds.

Hopefully someone else will recognize what is wrong & give better advice. Good luck & let us know what you try & how your fish fare.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Hard to tell from the pics. However, columnaris goes by some common names that relate to the symtoms.

Cotton mouth disease- So called because it looks like tufts of fungus in/around the mouth. it is not fungus it is columnaris.
Saddleback Disease- So called because the white patches appear at the base of the dorsal fin.

Columnaris is not a single disease, it comes in a variety of strains. Some infect more slowly and can easily be treated. Others are way more virulent and can kill before symptoms even show up. It is also common with columnaris that it can be accompanied by a secondary bacterial infection and/or a fungal infection. However, no matter what the strain of columnaris, it is contagious.

Because of the above as suggested by fishorama, treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic or both a gram positive and gram negative one is a good idea, especially if you are not certain about what the problem may be. Unless you see clear signs of true fungus, i would not treat for that. However, if you do see it, then I suggest adding Maracin Oxy. According to Fritz-Mardel this is safe to use with Maracyn and Maracyn Two.

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I have some mostly good news. The "crust" is all but gone practically overnight. The evening prior I decided to add a half dose of Seachem Paraguard (so as to try and not harm my snails) and when I looked in this morning the afflicted angels looked about as good as new with maybe the slightest remnants left but I can barely tell. There is one though that's still acting a little skittish with hiding away and didn't really eat when I offered food flakes. So I'm going to offer a more meatier selection tomorrow (blood worms/brine shrimp) and see if that perks it up.

In the meantime I did another hefty water change this evening and added what was left of the Paraguard (about another half dosage's worth). Was going to do a full cleaning of the filters but the rest of life today was more hectic than anticipated so I'll try and get to it tomorrow and go and get more Paraguard and continue with water changes for the week.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's great news!

Keep up the water changes as best you can, clean water really can work miracles! I don't know of a parasite that looks like that but I believe Paraguard treats more issues & contains malachite green & "other proprietary" ingredients :rolleyes:. Malachite is an old school treatment for a few things, not a bad choice. I would continue the treatment for as long as it seems to help.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store