Great Day driftwood collecting!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Yeah I'm usually pretty paranoid about what kind of wood I use, I couldn't resist the non-ID'd pieces because of their shape. Oak, and apple are my favorite because the shape of the trees is so distinct, you know what you're getting.
Should any fallen branches of Oak work work, if I soak it first ?

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
Really the idea is you want to keep away from softer woods as they will break up quickly and stuff that is really sappy as you don't want that leaching into your water. Oak is a perfect choice, boil them first to kill any bacteria and you should be good to go. Over time the slate isn't needed as they sit in your tank for months they get so water logged they will settle to the bottom.

loser

AC Members
May 26, 2003
Orange NYS
www.timhedden.com
Should any fallen branches of Oak work work, if I soak it first ?
Yes, any part of the oak tree will work.
Remove the bark first, and make sure it's not rotted/soft. Then sterilize it either by boiling (if it fits in a pot) or by soaking in a 1:20 bleach:water mix for a day then soaking it in water for a week, changing the water every other day, to get the bleach out.

Boiling is viewed as safer for the fish, it's also stinky. These pieces were too big for a pot so i had to go the bleach route (in a rubbermaid 25-gal bin, outdoors). I've done this before and never had bleach poisoning/gill issues, the chlorine in the bleach really wants to be a gas and escapes at the first chance. That's why bleach smells so bad.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store