Great new loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
I got 3 small red/black striped kuhli loached at a fish auction a week and a half ago..and I'm please to say they are chowing down on the snails in my 10 gal. I see several empty shells on the bottom of the tank. My impression of my black kuhli's in the other tank was that they didn't eat many, but I am not overrun with snails either.

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Got them at a fish club auction....the guy that brought them down and sold them was from Chicago. If I knew where to to refer you I would, they are great little guys! Just babies...2 1/2 " at the most. Hungry babies as it turns out!

hehehe ,i've been to that page b4 .I can see what you mean by the pink bellys.Thats funny you mentioned your camera as I was afraid to ask. :)
You get spoiled here with so many people able to post pics of their topics,it realy helps visualize what we're talking about. I instantly thought of some kind of oceananic looking bright red & black khuli just to tease myself.Just love thease guys .I have black regular & platinum ones.I rescently introduced a dozen or so & had a bit of a die back & seem to remember them being on sale b4 & turning out overly sensative, poor little guys.They are so social with each other always hanging around entwined but segrogate themselves & that little face they have is so cute.Im looking for simmilars like weather loach or dojo loach or other & saw red tailed zebra loaches. thease guys faces remind me of kuhli's but their bodys remind me of underwater wings. Don't rush out & get a red tailed zebra loach but if you do,just get one. @ least when your @ the lfs look @ their faces,lol so curiously shy(they also flash their eyes somehow) When i'm sitting in front of my tank ,theirs always a few faces pokeing out of hideing places as if to so SO ! whats up @DAY ,feedingtime? or ya ya I see you there,I got my eye on you.The endearing thing about the red tailed zebra is the way they are kinda shy like kuhgli's but they act this out ,right up front center,unlike the kuhli's who can stay way out of sight. i believe the kuhli's are less deependant on feedings & don't realy come out to feed,but the red tailed zebra seems to have to get it realy fresh so hes out right away no matter whos feeding & is always onthe ball. Our normal kuhli's (black normals & platinum seem to take up a rather MEH posture. it's ignorant lmao calling kuhli's ignorant ,I done gone off the deep end :dive: Thanks for responding so quickly & I appologize for going on & on this way & that but it was fun
1 of my kuhli's has a pink belly but probably not as red as yours,heh never noticed that b4 but there are supposed to be @ east 4 types of that species.
p.s. I don't know if you want to go there but don't you find that your clown loaches match your kuhli colours more or less & how do they get along .Although I have yoyo's queen's redtail black & horsefaced(someone told me could be a needlenose). I haven't kept clowns for years but have been seeing some cute little ones lately catching my eye, Just wondering how your kuhli's like your clowns. Mine used to be with barbs that have the same look but together they reinforced agressive behaviors ,you know like clowns who grow up with ciclids evolve a meaner posture than clowns that grow up with neons & ottos . like 2 brothers 1 going to church while the other joins a gang.(focuss determines reality)hope I didn't get too off topic.

Last edited:

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Tri County Tropical Fish Society in Peoria. PM me if you want any info. We will ahve another sale in the spring, I usually post info in advance here and several other fish sites.

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Hey T.C...it took a while to read your post... :laugh:
My kuhlies doen't match my clowns, becasue the kuhlies that are striped are redder. the Kuhlies in the tank with the clowns are brown anyway.
They seem to get along ok. there are enough hiding places for everyone. I've seen them all fight for the same bit of food, but nothing serious. I'm careful to spread bits of algae wafers all over the tank so they can find food somewhere else. It's hard to see the kuhlies..they do hide.

isn't the all round favorite loach the yo-yo? for community & entertaining behavior. I got a burmese border sand loach by accident today ,kinda looks like but doesn't read yoyo & has darker colouring.noticed their priced way higher too,score! tried to get a queen botia or 2 & the guy wouldn't let me haha he sai they should have some nicer ones in very soon.instead of saleing me the ones he had.Either way it's better for me but I was already getting a great deal.There was an industrial trickle filter for free they were tossing ,I wonder what the new one looks like :sim:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store