greech's Simple 40 Breeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Back from MACNA. It was a good time and really too much to see and listen to in one day. It was pretty much sensory overload. The prettiest thing I saw by far was a neon (and I mean NEON) orange Bubble Tip Nem. It was a vendors booth from California and he actually had 3 or 4 of them at $300/each and they sold before you knew it. It was by far the prettiest nem I have ever seen and regret not buying it. Also was able to check out World Wide Corals in Orlando and WOW!!! Really unbelievable stuff. The display tanks were stunning and they had a TON of frags. Ended up with a couple pieces but the prices were not nearly as good as I had read about/hoped:

Bleeding Apple scoly:

War&Piece Favia

Rock Flower Anemone

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
looking good :thm:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Tank was looking good after a WC and feeding so thought I would take some shots:

Making room for a new edition on the left :)

justinf67

AC Members
Mar 2, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Im curious what sand ur using in this setup? tank looks great by the way :)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Thanks.

justin - I used Caribsea Aragamax Select.

justinf67

AC Members
Mar 2, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
the select is for reefs and the sand is thicker, right? I bought the sugar sized stuff and its impossible to keep from blowing around... I see ur in Tallahassee, as am I....Did u get it locally, or did u have to order it? Thanks

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Yes, tank is looking suh-weet! The longer I have my tank, the more impressed I am with how clean yours looks -- really makes the corals stand out.

I also have trouble with my sand blowing around like justinf67 -- didn't occur to me that it could be a grain size issue. Greech: did you have to adjust your power heads at any point to keep your sand from blowing into dunes and valleys?

justinf67

AC Members
Mar 2, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
joel.uejio, when I bought my sand, being new I went for what my lfs recommended, and I knew aragonite was good, only issue is the sand is sugar sized. As I got more flow in my tank, I ran into that issue of it blowing around... More research led me to many posts saying carib-sea reef select was the sand to have for reefs as its much bigger grain and almost impossible to blow around... I saw some at one of my lfs's today and its MUCH larger grain... My next setup will use this sand... Just an fyi from what I have seen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store