Green Hair Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spesh1969

AC Members
Jan 20, 2018
Texas
Real Name
Jen
I wanted to start having some success with live plants in my aquarium so I went to my LFS and bought this ridiculously expensive FluvalSmart light. I went in thinking I was buying a bulb and a new lid, and walked out with this bluetooth thing. The guy at the store told me to keep it on for 10 hours straight a day, but now I'm noticing all this lovely green hair algae.

I have (2) Nerite snails, (4-5) Malaysian Trumpet snails and a (3) ghost shrimp, but I can't say that any of them are eating it. Other occupants are (1) Dwarf Gourami, (2) Peacock Gudgeons and (4) Panda Cories.

Will reducing the amount of light help get rid of this stuff?

Thanks so much.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, less light will help! I only do about 6 or 7 hours of tank lighting/day. It doesn't even have to be all at 1 time. You can light an couple hours in the am & then a few in the evening. Your plants will be ok.

Hair alga in fairly easy to control without too much light. Use a toothpick or similar to "twirl" off as much as you can, daily or so. Do the best you can!

Reactions: FreshyFresh

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If your'e interested, Siamese algae eaters will happily have the snack, and I believe amano shrimp, as well, will help.

I actually want one of those lights, but I think the straight to ten hours of light is a bit much. I just started up with plants/lights again, and after a couple months, I've gone from ~5 hours a day, to 6. I have my own increased algae growth, but I'm looking at nerites to curb most of it.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Green hair algae are the highest form of algae, closest to plants. Livebearers will also eat them. It just shows that your plants haven't settled yet. Once they do they will outcompete the algae. More frequent water changes will also help. They are just using nutrients that aren't yet taken up by the plants.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I agree that reducing lights on time should help. I don't keep lights on more than 7-8hrs/day on my tanks with plants. I wouldn't add livestock just for the purpose of reducing algae.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn't add livestock just for the purpose of reducing algae.
That's fair. I like doing so because I pick livestock I actually like that'll do the job, so I'll have the side effect of algae reduction added to getting the livestock I want, essentially. I kind of want SAEs, but I'm not sure if I really do, so they're not on my list. Nerites? Love them. Will get some.

Trey Turner

AC Members
Oct 18, 2018
Dublin, Georgia
A few mentioned this already but Siamese/Chinese algae eaters, mollies and some platties will eat algae in just about all forms. If you don't want to reduce the lighting because you are having good plant growth, there is another route.

It took me a little while to wrap my head around this but it works. When I get an algae breakout, I treat my tank with double dose of Sechem Flourish Excel liquid organic carbon. The plants love it and it burns the algae. I do this every other day for about a week. You will notice the hair algae will turn pink then grey/white and will disappear. Then you can go back to a regular dose to keep it from coming back. And it doesn't hurt if your running CO2

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yep, Excel can help, but it doesn't fix the underlying issues...too much light or plant "food" (any of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate over 10ppm) are likely the algae culprits.

Start with less light. Fish, inverts or drugs are only a bandaid, as is manual removal. More water changes can help a bit too.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018

Spesh1969

AC Members
Jan 20, 2018
Texas
Real Name
Jen
I increased the sunrise and sunset settings to limit the actual “daylight” in the tank to 8 hours so hopefully that will help.

I will also try smaller more frequent water changes.

Thanks to everyone!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store