Green Spotted Puffer Light Cycles & Vacation Feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loraynepape

Registered Member
May 21, 2007

I have a GSP who I've had for about a week now. I got my tank set-up for my birthday, and it came with a light. I wanted to know if I need to get a special light for her or will the standard aquarium light that came with the tank be sufficient? She doesn't seem to like the light, her colors go from bright green to a pale yellow and she begins to swim up and down for hours in the corner of the tank after I've turned the light on. She does have a cave to go into, but rarely uses it. Also, how many hours of "Daylight" and "night time" should I give her?

Also... Vacation feeding. Is there anyway to vacation feed her If I go away for the weekend? I was thinking of putting like 5 ghost shrimp in and let her eat as she needs to while we're gone, but I'm not sure if this is good to do, or there was another way to do this...

Please help :)

Sir Pufferfish

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
UK
Standard aquarium light is fine, you done need any special lighting unless you plan to keep live plants like vallis or ferns.
The amount of lighting is up to you really, anything from 7-11 hours is ok.

Colors of puffers do change all the time, to me its a mood thing !
mine usually are pretty pale when the lights turn on but when they wake up and start swimming about, the colors are back to a nice glow.
even when they resting through the day the colors tend to fade.
Age also if a factor.

Swimming up and down is also pretty common but ultimately make sure the tank
Is very interesting for them to explore with plenty of plants, caves, ornaments and
Even tank mates like mollies or bumblebees.
Live food suck as bloodworm or shrimps are great interesting food for them.

Weekend vocation is no pain really, just make sure they belly is nicely round before you leave, a few shrimps is an excellent idea.
GSP need feeding 5-6 days a week, 1-2 times per day but all depends on size/age

So to me all seems ok with your tank and behaviour,
All the best.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
GSPs really aren't "cave dwellers", although they do appreciate a lot of decor to investigate, as they are intelligent fish & get bored easily. How big is the tank?

Corykid94

AC Members
Apr 5, 2007
My GSps are just babies but they tend to sleep about 4-6 hours a day but probably prefer mor night-time than that. About the feeding, if you're just going away for a little while, feed them the day before you go and then just let them sit. They'll be fine for a few days w/out food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store