green terror & blue jack dempsey?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
I am thinking of getting a Green Terror and Blue Jack Dempsey for my 55 gallon tank. They would be joining a tank with 2 full grown Silver Dollars. I also plan on getting some sort of pleco eventually as well. The tank has plenty of hiding spots and I do 2-3 water changes a week. Does anyone think this combination of fish would be a problem or should I be fine? I know with cichlids its can be unpredictable. :read:

johaniimaster27

AC Members
Jul 15, 2006
if the green terror JD and plecos are also fully grown this will be way to over crowded.

MacFish

AC Members
Jan 24, 2006
photobucket.com
If you are going to do it, I would make sure the BJD is larger than the GT. Also put the BJD in first and let it establish it's territory for a while. If you add them at the same time or the GT first, I think your BJD would be a sitting duck. GT's are much more aggressive.

johaniimaster27

AC Members
Jul 15, 2006
this is very true but if u use a regular JD it may be able to hold its own against the Green Terror because it is much more aggressive than the blue JD. and in my opinion the BJD doesnt look all that special either.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
the cichlids would all be 1-2.5 inches long when bought... maybe it would be better to get a firemouth or red devil instead of the blue dempsey because of the aggression factor... to be honest I want the blue dempsey more then the green terror if I have to choose. They look freakin awesome.

johaniimaster27

AC Members
Jul 15, 2006
ok well i hope i helped. the red devil would do well with a green terror the only thing is what r u goin to do with them when they get to be too big???

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
You did help! Thanks. I was under the impression that 5 fish (even when full grown) in my 55 gallon would be within the limits. Is there something I don't know. I see other people with way more cichlids in 55 gal tanks and I thought I was being safe with only 2 cichlids??

johaniimaster27

AC Members
Jul 15, 2006
well it depends on the size of the fish. JDs grow to be around 10 inches long. GTs grow to be 8 inches long. and some plecos grow to 28 INCHES

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
good point. I'll make sure I get a pleco that doesn't get too big. I don't want a big one anyway. Maybe I won't even get one... I'm so indecisive.

I've read that Blue Dempseys only get to about 5 or 6 inches. There are so many cichlids to choose from! I just want to have a few cool looking fish but most importantly I want them to be able to live comfortably with each other.

Any other cichlids that would do well with a blue dempsey?

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
Any other cichlids that would do well with a blue dempsey?

Oscars do well with JD's. I only see JD's being aggresive with non-aggresive fish. If the other fish can hold their own, you'll be ok. You mentioned something about getting a Red devil? You haven't SEEN aggressive until you get a Red Devil. Choose carefully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store