GreggZ's Planted Rainbow Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Well, I decided to change the whole tank over to Black Diamond. It's just so much easier to plant in. You know, it's all personal opinion, but so far I am really liking the look.

When I have some more time, I will write up how I changed the substrate. Always nerve wracking but it all in all it went very well.

So here's the latest.20151228_195408 (Large).jpg

• Love
Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
First, thanks for the nice compliment Japappy789.

Now, as noted above, I changed out my pea gravel substrate for Black Diamond Blasting Sand

I’ll describe how I did it, but it is not necessarily a recommendation. Don’t get me wrong, everything went smoothly, but it’s probably not the text book way to go about it. And I wouldn’t want to be responsible if it didn’t go as well for others as it did for me.

First I should note that I have three filters running on the tank. 2 Rena XP3 and a Rena Xp4, so pretty high filtration. I haven’t cleaned any of the filters in about 6 weeks, so I figured they should be seeded pretty well.

I know this might not be popular, but I left the fish in the tank. Started by removing all of the plants. I placed each species into a piece of paper towel, and put them into a cooler full of water. This kept them separated, as I didn’t want them getting all mixed up.

After removing the driftwood and rocks, I vacuumed the tank pretty thoroughly. This took some time, and did create a pretty good mess. Nothing like what came next. I used a metal colander, and started taking out the old pea gravel. Things got pretty cloudy in a hurry. While I was taking out the gravel, I kept a pump running removing the cloudy water. I alternated refilling and draining as I went along.

I then went right to adding the Black Diamond. Didn’t rinse it, just put it into the tank. Kept draining and refilling during the process. Once I had it all in, I filled completely and let the filters run for about an hour. Amazingly, it cleared up pretty good, and I started putting in driftwood, rocks, plants.

Did another 50% water change and then let it be. I did get a small ammonia spike, never more than .25, and did three more 50% changes over the next three days. This was as much a precaution as anything else. After that, ammonia was back to 0.0, and back to business as usual.

The whole process took about 5 hours. I will admit I got a bit nervous a few times, but figured the seeded filters should keep things somewhat stable. All in all, couldn’t have went any better, and the fish are doing great, no worse for the wear.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Completely awesome looking! Well done!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Care to shoot a nice scanning video of that for a You Tube/AC FB post?

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Thanks Bob, I will get a new video up real soon. Maybe even tonight if I get the time.

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Care to shoot a nice scanning video of that for a You Tube/AC FB post?
Here you go Bob. Just taken an hour or so ago. Let me know what you think.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Could watch that for hours....well done!

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Could watch that for hours....well done!
Thanks again Bob, that’s a very kind thought. I saw you posted it to the AC/FB page. To share some space with those other tanks is quite an honor. I feel like the small fish in the big pond……both figuratively and literally. Those really large tanks are spectacular.

• Haha
Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You have earned it with the dedication to that tank! A mix of simple beauty, activity and color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store