Growth Rate of Clown Loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rotten_stars

AC Members
May 7, 2003
Visit site
Does anybody have an idea of the growth rate of baby and adult clown loaches.

Theyre currently fed very well, with a rotation of sinking pellets, froxen brine shrimp, flaked food, tubiflex worms and the odd algea chip they manage to steal away from the pleco.

Last edited:

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
The first year they grow a lot faster than they ever will. After that they grow pretty slowly with about 0.5 inches a year. For example, my boyfriend has 3 clown loaches: one is 4 years old and he's about 5 inches now, the next biggest is ~1.5 yrs old and he's about 2 inches and the smallest is about a year old and he started off two months ago as just under and inch and I'd say he's a little over and inch now in that period of time.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
wetmanNY, do you remember the guy on here who raised Clowns? He would get them to 8-10" in ~18 months if I remember correctly, which I may not. It is all space and food and high water quality. The slow growth seen in average tanks is called "stunting".

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Seriously, my 2-3" clowns have been in my tank for about 2.5 weeks and they are already looking bigger... so I can believe that 18 month growth rate.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
My loaches love green peas and especially are fond of bloodworms. New Life Spectrum granual fish food is an excellent staple diet for most bottom feeders, as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store