Guava tree branches as driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
I have a guava fruit tree and I just wanted to if I could use the branches as driftwood? They are completely dry I just wanted to know if that type of wood was suitable to use in an aquarium. Thanks.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Assume you're talking about Cattley guava?? I suspect it would rot?? Try boiling a piece ans see what happens to it
and also note the water ,if it's discolored I'd try something else. gary

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
I don't have the cattley guava I have the tropical guava. Does anyone know if the tropical guava will do better than the cattley guava. Thanks.

KI4WLG

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
North Carolina/South Carolina
No clue here, but I agree with the above. Boil it, see what it does to the water then waterlog it. Be sure to change the water in your waterlogging bucket/container every week or so. Check your water parameters every so often as well. That should be able to tell you for the most part how safe it is. (Also, let us know if it turns out to work!)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I would think it would be too thin and would thus rot...I could be wrong though.

:cheers:

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
I'll give it try just to see what happens. Doesn't hurt to try. I'm going to put it in a small 10 gallon anyways. I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
Well I boiled the pieces of wood and let them soak and they sunk within 3-4 days. The first picture is of the piece of wood I want to use in my 10 gallon. I hope that it doesn't just rot as soon as I put it in. The second picture is of a bigger piece I want to use in a 55 gallon. I'm going to wait and see how the small one does before I use the big one.

uploadfromtaptalk1341087883758.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1341087915193.jpg

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Wow, that big peice is a nice one. I chopped down a huge old rose bush a few years back, and those branches looked nice, so i dried them and used them, still have several of them, they held up really well considering they aren't the normal type of wood used.

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
Thats what I say. Any wood can be used as driftwood just as long as you can boil it to kill anything that can harm fish. I mean obviously it's not going to last as long as driftwood but its free.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store